My KZ400 won't start!!

More
16 May 2008 07:40 #213985 by 1975KZ400D
My KZ400 won't start!! was created by 1975KZ400D
Ok, my bike has been running fine all spring so far, but I've been working on the brakes and had to pretty much rebuild the entire system. The day after I got that done, I went to start my bike and at first I got it started, but then it died on me before I really got it going. After cranking the engine a few times after that, I started wearing down the battery, so I put it on the charger. It has also been leaking oil a tiny bit, so I thought it could use some. I put about 2/3 of a bottle of oil in it. Then after the battery got charged, I kept trying to start it and nothing. I kept trying and trying and had to keep recharging the battery, but I just couldn't get it started! The only other thing I have adjusted in the past few days is the idol, but I've tried re-adjusting that already and it still won't start. I also added a bit of gas that had been sitting in my garage over the winter becasue the tank was looking a bit low.

Can anyone help me out here? The engine turns over fine, I just can't get it to start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2008 08:15 #213990 by Beatpoet
Replied by Beatpoet on topic My KZ400 won't start!!
Old Gas = No Start

The first thing you do with any bike when you try to get it running is get all of the old gas out of the tank.

More
16 May 2008 08:33 #213997 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic My KZ400 won't start!!
did you check to see if you had spark, could be something has got corroded during the storage time,
I would start off with a fresh tune up, new plugs, adj valves, and so on, just to get everything ready for the riding season

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
16 May 2008 09:34 #214018 by 1975KZ400D
Replied by 1975KZ400D on topic My KZ400 won't start!!
Both very good ideas! I'll put some fresh spark plugs in and fill it with some new gas and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips! B)