Don't Trust CLICK Torque Wrenches

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2008 12:19 #213823 by bountyhunter
Don't Trust CLICK Torque Wrenches was created by bountyhunter
All the talk about stripped cam bolts reminded me: IMHO, the CLICK torque wrenches can't be trusted for calibration. They have the rotating dial that increases torque and a scale on the shaft.... and neither of the ones I have is correct. I think the scale is "shifted" up or down slightly depending on where the dial adjuster "takes up" and starts pulling on the spring.

Anyway, I leared that a long time ago and whenever I use a CLICK wrench, I calibrate it first against a beam wrench using sockets that will connect the two together at the head.

I still use a click wrench when I have a bunch of bolts in an inconvenient place that have to be torqued (cam caps, valve cover, oil pan) but I calibrate the wrench first.

With the camshaft caps, I think you have a bolt that strips maybe 10 - 20% above the specified torque value so I would never do them without checking the wrench first.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2008 13:12 #213835 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Don't Trust CLICK Torque Wrenches
I also have that sneaky feeling that the 'click' wrenches are suspect and I periodically check mine against a 'known' to be sure. What I have found is that the smaller wrench (inch/lbs) is much less prone to error than the larger wrench (ft/lbs).:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
15 May 2008 13:16 #213837 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Don't Trust CLICK Torque Wrenches
a lot of times it is how you store the wrench,, if you back it down to zero everytime you should not have any problems, if you do not then the spring will change over time and cause them to be off

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
15 May 2008 15:02 #213865 by j_bizach
Replied by j_bizach on topic Don't Trust CLICK Torque Wrenches
Ive never had a problem with my snap-on one. And i used it everyday for the past 3 years.

Good point im sure that turning them to zero makes a big difference. I always do.

More
15 May 2008 21:23 #213924 by 893cv
Replied by 893cv on topic Don't Trust CLICK Torque Wrenches
The calibration will be off if the "click" type wrench is used to loosen any bolts, or if its not returned to zero when stored.

1980 kz1000 LTD
1978 Z1R

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2008 21:51 #213930 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Don't Trust CLICK Torque Wrenches
The problem with mine is they were never zeroed accurately. They don't start to "engage" at the place where the stamped scale says "0". I suspect it offsets the scale. I may fool around with them and see what's up.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 May 2008 22:37 #213940 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Don't Trust CLICK Torque Wrenches
ive had a craftsman digitork 1/2" drive more than 25 years without a problem,remember its a torque wrench not a breaker bar;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.