Oil Drain Bolt

More
13 May 2008 09:25 #213303 by patmann
Oil Drain Bolt was created by patmann
I started working on my secret project last night, KZ 1000 the wife doesn't know about.
And the first thing I did was drain the oil. Much to my surprise the oil drain bolt has a hex head ( bolt ) head!!
My Z1's has always been square( ish ). Was the Z1 rounded of years ago and filed square or did it come that way? The bike was owned by a farmer years ago, and he cross threaded standard bolts into metric, stuck nails in place of cotter pins. You get the idea.
Strange how I just excepted it all these years ..

And does anyone have an "extra" in good shape they would part with?? As it really SUCKS when I go to change oil in the Zed :pinch: with a drain bolt that no wrench or socket fits.
Thanks guys!
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2008 09:41 #213311 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Oil Drain Bolt
They were all hex bolts that a 17mm socket was used to loosen. If yours are square, that's different than they came.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
13 May 2008 09:56 #213314 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Oil Drain Bolt
RonKZ650 wrote:

They were all hex bolts that a 17mm socket was used to loosen. If yours are square, that's different than they came.

Thanks Ron! That's what I was thinking too.
I couldn't remember on any of my other Zed's of KZ's I'd had over the last 35 years of riding. Just that this was/is a pain.

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?