Now thems some tight valves!

• donthekawguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 May 2008 23:56 - 12 May 2008 23:57 #213243 by donthekawguy
Now thems some tight valves! was created by donthekawguy
I was checking my valves this weekend and found them all to be really no REALLY tight. I couldn't get my .0015 feeler gauge in 7 of them. It barely fit in one of them. I'm not sure how the bike even ran with all the valves open all the time. :laugh: Oh yeah-the back tire is on backwards also. :huh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125
Last edit: 12 May 2008 23:57 by donthekawguy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2008 00:48 #213246 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Now thems some tight valves!
Don, I think it's called MAINTANENCE,, and being SOBER when you mount your tires,, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

• donthekawguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 May 2008 03:12 #213256 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Now thems some tight valves!
This is on the bike I just got last week. I was looking at how bald the rear tire was and noticed the little arrow pointing the wrong way. :ohmy: As for the valves, someone was in there because whoever it was wrote 208 on each cam cap with a sharpy. I guess they knew it was coming to Idaho. (area code 208) :laugh: Or maybe they screwed them up in Feb. of this year.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
13 May 2008 10:09 #213316 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Now thems some tight valves!
If the rear tire was actually manufactured for sale as a "front" tire, am thinking the arrows are supposed to be pointed against rotation (pointing backward) where a "front" tire is mounted on the rear. Am guessing this has something to do with braking stress on front wheel being opposite of acceleration stress on rear wheel. But please await better advice before taking issue with whoever installed the rear tire "backward". :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 May 2008 12:54 #213349 by kneedragger80
Replied by kneedragger80 on topic Now thems some tight valves!
Sorry for continuing this off topic but . . .

Long story short, my bike has the same syndrome, front tire mounted in back, opposite the rotation arrow. Like yours, the rear tire was toast. I remember a similar discovery on another thread and if I not mistaken, Patton chimed in and his reasoning made sense to me.

At this very moment, I have a brand new Spitfire 120/90 18 front, intended to be mounted on the rear. I'll take the plunge. I'm willing to try it.:silly:

If I'm lucky I'll get some decent longevity out of it, it'll be somewhat stable and the handling won't be worse than it all ready is (bald tire I know). Worst case, she'll toss me into the bushes and you guys' ll have to find another test pilot:laugh:

80 KZ750E
84 GPZ1100
NY US
. . . I used to do a little but a little wouldn t do it so a little got more and more . . .

More
13 May 2008 18:09 #213406 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Now thems some tight valves!
My shim supply was shipped out to you this morning Don(airmail).
I still can't believe that bike ran as good as you say it did,with zero clearance like that...wow.:ohmy:

Good luck,bud.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• donthekawguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 May 2008 23:06 #213485 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Now thems some tight valves!
Thanx Sandy. I bet shimming will fix the misterious noise I was hearing. The tool from Jeff should be here soon and it's supposed to be in the 80's this weekend. I also got some hardware for the sidecovers so the body work will be on. Too bad I cut up the front plastic fender to use for racing. :angry: I'll try to take some pics with my shitty camera.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
14 May 2008 10:58 #213568 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Now thems some tight valves!
Patton wrote:

If the rear tire was actually manufactured for sale as a "front" tire, am thinking the arrows are supposed to be pointed against rotation (pointing backward) where a "front" tire is mounted on the rear.

You are correct sir, I have used tires which could go either front or rear (Avon roadrunners) and the arrows for either fitment point in opposite directions.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 May 2008 11:40 #213590 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Now thems some tight valves!
Patton wrote:

If the rear tire was actually manufactured for sale as a "front" tire, am thinking the arrows are supposed to be pointed against rotation (pointing backward) where a "front" tire is mounted on the rear. Am guessing this has something to do with braking stress on front wheel being opposite of acceleration stress on rear wheel. But please await better advice before taking issue with whoever installed the rear tire "backward". :)

Guess that problem wouldn't really matter as the tire is the "Maypop" brand and needs to be replaced any how.:cheer: :lol:

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200