Loud clacking noise coming from the top right side of the engine

More
11 May 2008 19:59 #212950 by XL777
Well I fired the beast up tonight after sitting for 1.5 yrs 4 kicks and away it went!! :) Lots of white smoke came out as it warmed up. I let it run with the choke for about 10 mins and then took it for a short ride.
When it was warming up there seemed to be a lot of ticking coming from the top of the motor. I figured it just needed to warm up however, after taking it for a ride it seemed to get worst. At idle the ticking is consistent but when the motor is reved up it starts to clack loudly until the RPM is in the upper range. So I figure I have some serious valve issues, or it didn't need warm up enough. What do you think? I don't have the exp. to dig into the motor so I'm going to take it in to the local guy once I get some ins. on it.

2012 Triumph Bonneville SE black

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

It is easier to say what I haven't replaced then what I have.

I must love this cruel mistress since she hates me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2008 20:38 #212963 by Sandy
Check the cam chain tensioner.
Do you have a manual for the bike?
If not,you best be getting one.It'll save you a lot of hassles and time.;)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
11 May 2008 20:41 #212964 by XL777
Yes, I have a manual

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

More
11 May 2008 21:30 #212971 by reborn650
I'm with Sandy. The cam chain tensioner is the one of the easiest items to check and it could potentialy have caused the clanking. The cam chain adjuster is directly underneath the carbs, in the center of the top of the cylinders. The pushrod and spring might have locked up from not being used.

For an easy way to pinpoint where the sound is emanating from, you will need some high tech audio equipement, a long handled screwdriver and your good ear. When the motor is running place the screwdriver's business end on various locations on the top end of the motor, and place your ear on the handle to listen for abnormal sounds. Try to stay away from the exhaust as when these motors are sitting and running they get real hot, real fast!

This mechanic's stethoscope might help you find the exact sport and the likely suspect parts that are not happy.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

1977 Kz650 Custom with 810 kit, Wired George Mikuni 29 Smoothbores, Gpz cams and valves and lottsa other go-fast goodies.
1982 Ferrrari 308 GTSi with 50K miles. 3 Litre - V8, 5 speed. Loves to rev like my bike.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
12 May 2008 17:32 #213118 by XL777
I read through the adjustment process in my manual, but I converted the bike to an electronic ignition and it seems you need to use the original timing marks to adjust the chain.

when adjusting the camshaft chain, always stop turning the engine when either the #1 and #4 or #2 and #3 pistons is at TDC. Loosen the lock nut and bolt. (with the bolt loose a spring inside takes up slack automatically) Tighten

so if I read this right I just loosen the lock nut and the slack is taken up????

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

More
12 May 2008 17:54 #213128 by RonKZ650
That's correct, just loosen the bolt, retighten and it's done. There may be a point the engine should be rotated to initially, then do the adjustment. Consult the manual. Sitting shouldn't hurt the tensioner though, as it's in a locked position and no way went out of adjustment by sitting.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
12 May 2008 17:58 #213134 by XL777
I will try it and see. Any other ideas what it could be?

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

More
12 May 2008 19:04 #213156 by XL777
Replied by XL777 on topic am I totally FRAKED
AAAAAAHHH I'm really starting to hate the former owner of this bike. Well I did what you said and loosen the tension bolt rotated the motor a few times, then when to tighen it. Well imagine my surprise when I saw the housing the bolt goes into had been broken removing about 3-4 threads and now I can't get the bolt to tighten up!!! What do I do now!!! Please HELP!!! by the way how does that actually tighen and losen the chain? I pulled out the bold to see how bad it was and it looks like it just sits in the housing and is not connected to anything.

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

Attachments:

More
12 May 2008 19:12 #213158 by XL777
AAAAAAHHH I'm really starting to hate the former owner of this bike. Well I did what you said and loosen the tension bolt rotated the motor a few times, then when to tighen it. Well imagine my surprise when I saw the housing the bolt goes into had been broken removing about 3-4 threads and now I can't get the bolt to tighten up!!! What do I do now!!! Please HELP!!! by the way how does that actually tighen and losen the chain? I pulled out the bold to see how bad it was and it looks like it just sits in the housing and is not connected to anything.

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

Attachments:

More
12 May 2008 19:59 #213173 by XL777
Well I thought I had it tightened the best I could so I thought I would fire it up and see what happens. Well the noise has become significantly worst I only let it run for about sec and it sounds like a chain being scraped across metal. I'm assuming my cam chain is too loose? Any ideas what I should do?

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

More
12 May 2008 20:12 #213178 by XL777
How does this whole system work?? I tightened the bold as far as it will go and it keeps spinning until the nut is flush with the head of the bolt. It looks like that much of the tension holder casing is broken. Could I use another nut threaded on after the first nut to firm it all up? Or do I HAVE to replace the tension holder for it all to work? I tried looking up in my manual about removing the holder and it has no info.

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

Attachments:

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
12 May 2008 20:27 #213184 by hardr0ck68
the tensioner lock bolt is nothing fancy, If it is stripped just drill and tap it out to something larger. If you really must, go on e-bay and pick one up. they are not hard to find (I have 3 spares, but I am currently in South Korea and no where near my storage unit).

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.