Had it running great for an hour, then she quit.

More
11 May 2008 12:22 #212824 by BLSSeattle
Hi all. I got my 79 KZ1300 running after replacing the ignition coils and adding a little starter fluid. She ran like a dream for an hour or so and then on a short ride started backfiring a bit. After a few more blocks the power decreased and she quit. Now the starter churns and churns but she won't turn over. What happened? I'm thinking the carbs might need to be thoroughly cleaned. Any ideas? The fuel line isn't kinked and there's plenty of good fuel in the tank, but she won't go. There's no way I can imagine the coils all went at the same time. Please help. Thanks for any info. -michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2008 12:37 - 11 May 2008 12:38 #212826 by Patton
Might be fuel starvation caused by clogged fuel tank cap vent which can give sensation of running out of gas -- first popping from too lean mixture, then quitting. Could try running with fuel cap loose (unsnapped) to see if that helps.

Would also check petcock screen and also screens on the petcock intake tubes up inside the fuel tank to assure none of the screens are getting clogged with crud hovering about them inside the fuel tank. If needed to prevent future occurance, dump fuel tank and flush with clean gasoline, re-dump and re-fill.

Also assure in-line filter isn't clogged.

Can check fuel delivery by removing a float bowl drain screw and seeing whether ample fuel is flowing to the outside without being vapor-locked, petcock screen-clogged, or in-line filter clogged.

Hoping for a simple easy fix.

Good Luck!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 May 2008 12:38 by Patton.

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
More
11 May 2008 12:39 #212827 by kzstreetfighter71
Replied by kzstreetfighter71 on topic Had it running great for an hour, then she quit.
to be sure its not your coils, take out a plug and reattach your ignition lead, rest the plug on the cylinder head so the plug is getting a earth to the motor and ou can still see the plug, turn over the motor and see if there is a good spark, if there is then your coils are not the problem, give the carbs a good clean, then see if it made difference.

06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)

More
11 May 2008 17:48 - 11 May 2008 17:49 #212900 by BLSSeattle
Replied by BLSSeattle on topic Had it running great for an hour, then she quit.
Thanks for replying. I will definitely check for spark but I have to think at least one or two of the coils would still be working, even if one failed. It really did seem like it was running out of gas. It had that same feeling when I forgot to turn on the reserve tank (when I had only a small amount of fuel in it. Any other ideas? I'll check the fuel lines and clean the carbs in any event.
Last edit: 11 May 2008 17:49 by BLSSeattle.