Engine Case Finish - Clear KZ900 Style

More
11 May 2008 06:35 #212745 by Ilbikes
Fellas, I have done the search thing looking for "factory finish" in this engine section, but do not find what I'm looking for.

Were the original engines clear coated? I don't see any evidence of it on mine. I'm doing a re-ring and valve guide replace soon at the same time I fix a leaking base gasket.
While I've got it apart I want to correct the finish. I want to return my cylinders and top-end to their original semi-gloss clear. Like most, mine have turned dull and stained from years of neglect and age/oxidation.

I am looking for how the factory did it, please. I won't use the mag wheel or Easy-Off, Sno-Bol, not even air conditioning coil acid cleaner - I've done that and those don't restore factory finishes. Bead blasting with new glass produces a clean "dull" finish that will turn ugly again over time. It's a great way to get the oxidation off, but it won't match the factory's technique.

Input needed.

Thanks,
Gordon
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2008 06:41 #212752 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine Case Finish - Clear KZ900 Style
the stock cases block and head are not coated that im aware of,just shiny new castings.:(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
11 May 2008 06:53 #212755 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Engine Case Finish - Clear KZ900 Style
Gordon, I don't know if this is what you are looking for as far as a finish but it is by far one of the nicest I've ever seen. It is done by vapor blasting you can check out pics at www.piczo.com/z900?g=12996144&cr=5

I don't know where you might have it done here in the states but I'm sure someone out there does it.

That is a very nice example of a KZ900 BTW. I wish the one I have looked that good.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
11 May 2008 08:21 #212771 by Ilbikes
Replied by Ilbikes on topic Engine Case Finish - Clear KZ900 Style
Thanks. I'm going to keep looking for a means of restoring the original finish. That vapor blasting looks much better than the dry glass beads I normally use.

Here is my CB750 that I built last year and my old H1 I just finished - both have had their cylinders and heads done with glass beads - clean yes, shiny - no. And the CB is already showing signs of aging due to porosity. My carbs come out nice and clean, but they too age too quickly.

I'm going to mask-up a blasted carb and drop it into my vibrating polisher for a few days - just to see how the finish comes out. I don't have one large enough for the cylinders though, but it would be nice to find a blast media that could give the same smoothing effect.

Gordon
Attachments:

More
11 May 2008 13:06 #212840 by kxhonda
Replied by kxhonda on topic Engine Case Finish - Clear KZ900 Style
I'm in the same boat. I love the look of that vapor blasting but I can't find anyone in the states to do it.

1977 Kz650B1 #576th made.

Warsaw, In

More
12 May 2008 14:26 #213093 by jdburke
Replied by jdburke on topic Engine Case Finish - Clear KZ900 Style
Has anyone tried blasting with a softer media, walnut or corn cobb perhaps?

John

1978 KZ 1000A2
N.E. Oklahoma

More
12 May 2008 14:42 - 12 May 2008 14:44 #213096 by Ilbikes
Replied by Ilbikes on topic Engine Case Finish - Clear KZ900 Style
I'm going to play around with some things. Walnut shells is one of them, plastic is another. I've got several old oxidized carbs and if I can find something that workson them, I'll try a cylinder or head. I've got some Kawi triple jugs and heads I can experiment with.

I'll post the results.

Regards,
Gordon
Last edit: 12 May 2008 14:44 by Ilbikes.

More
17 May 2008 22:30 #214265 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Engine Case Finish - Clear KZ900 Style
I'm in the same boat - doing a complete rebuild. I was told that the closest thing to vapor blasting is actually soda blasting. Soda can be purchased very reasonably at feed and grain stores. The advantage also is that you can roll the engine outside and do it in the open. Makes a mess until next rain fall and it all disappears - or just hose the driveway down. You can use any blasting equipment.

At least that is what I was told - comments?

More
17 May 2008 23:28 #214267 by switch
Replied by switch on topic Engine Case Finish - Clear KZ900 Style
I made a quick google for vapor blasting, and came up with this: www.gullindustries.com/honing.htm Now you all may be way ahead of me, but I thought that since this was in Texas, it would be a reasonable suggestion. They do say that the process is preparatory to plating. What type of plating would be suitable for cases,jugs and heads?

I am also a good bit ahead of myself. My 81 1000 CSR is not ready yet for this kind of work, but since you all are going through the discussion, I may be forearmed for when my time comes. Thanks, you guys. Switch

1981 KZ1000 M1 CSR
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (gone)
You do not have to believe everything you think!

More
18 May 2008 12:44 #214362 by woodyskz
Replied by woodyskz on topic Engine Case Finish - Clear KZ900 Style
(Soda blast) leaves a gorgeous finish ! I had some done on my 69 camaro a few days ago. I decided to have the guy do some bike parts for me after a few test. Google soda blasting for more info but the finish is fantastic.

More
18 May 2008 14:51 #214395 by kxhonda
Replied by kxhonda on topic Engine Case Finish - Clear KZ900 Style
I tried some 24 grit walnut shells. It cleans dirt and other stuff off but it doesn't cut anything so it will not get oxidation off.

I'm gonna try to get some 320 grit glass bead, I think it will be kinda what I am looking for. A buddy of mine said they had some plastic media where he works, hes gonna try to get me some.

1977 Kz650B1 #576th made.

Warsaw, In