engine installation

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 May 2008 16:04 #212596 by cottoncandyninja
engine installation was created by cottoncandyninja
heres an uncommon question in my opinion. what and how is the easiest way to get the engine back in the chassis without dropping or blowing out your back. im ready to plop the heart back in but its so damn heavy. im curious, is it a two man operation? it took two of us to do it on the removal part, but we didnt really sit and figure out the most clever way of doing it either. so who knows? no, really, who knows?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2008 16:46 #212603 by jordan
Replied by jordan on topic engine installation
There is an easy solution to your problem. I have done this 3 or 4 times and has worked great compared to the knuckle-busting, strenuous, twisting and turning of that heavy anchor. The best way IMO is to lay down a sheet of plywood and set the motoron its side(laying on ignition cover worked best for me) and getting a friend to help you lift the frame and lower the frame over top of the motor. Twisting and turning the frame is much easier than trying to get the motor to fit just right. This method also makes it very easy to line up the motor mounts. After all the motor mounts are re-attached just lift the frame back up on two wheels.

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

More
10 May 2008 16:48 - 10 May 2008 16:50 #212604 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic engine installation
I WOULD suggest two people, some folks lay the engine on its right side and then lower frame over it. If all wheels, etc are still on then it needs to be done the old fashiond way..... you know.... a friend and some beer! Mark Wing had a good idea in that he used a thick phone book (Measure and use whatever) which was even (height wise) with the frame. Lay it between the rails and when you guys muscle the motor back in it won't drop down on your hands. As far as your back, unless you lay the frame over the motor there no real EASY way to get the motor in. Good luck.. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 10 May 2008 16:50 by Bluemeanie.

More
10 May 2008 20:25 #212660 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic engine installation
The engine's pretty heavy for one guy. I do it myself, but I'm sure 2 guys would make it easier. I'm not about to lay my motorcycle on it's side to install the engine, although it might work, I'd never do it that way. What's worked for me is making a table out of plywood, cinder blocks ect, the same height as what the engine needs to be in the frame. Sit this table next to the motorcycle and have the engine on it. Whether it be one or 2 guys, now you have the engine whithin a foot of where it has to go. Gather your strength and lift it that last foot into the frame. Beats carrying the engine 20 ft and wrestling it in all in one step.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
10 May 2008 21:27 #212676 by KzzIcan
Replied by KzzIcan on topic engine installation
If you have access to a comealong, pulley or winch you could attach it to a rafter in the garage and hook it to the motor mount of the engine. Easy to manuever and you dont have to hold it. Done it before on my J-head.