Head gasket question

• donthekawguy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 May 2008 16:27 #212421 by donthekawguy
Head gasket question was created by donthekawguy
Last year I put a 1075 kit on my bike. I used the stock size head gaskets. Is there a set for the 1075 that I should have used? I'm thinking about putting the 1075 kit on my new bike and want to do it right the first time. (Imagine that) APE has a different part # for a 1075 head gasket set than a stock size. I assume it has a bigger opening. Last year when I started the motor with the 1075 kit and the stock head gaskets, I heard a couple of loud snaps. I'm guessing the valves hit the edge of the gasket. I'll probably get into the old motor this weekend and have a look. I also need to find some rings for the 1075 kit. Maybe if it rains I'll put the kit on the new bike before my trip to Canada to see Sandy. I'll need a little something extra to keep up with him. :laugh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2008 02:15 #212510 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Head gasket question
donthekawguy wrote:

Last year I put a 1075 kit on my bike. I used the stock size head gaskets. Is there a set for the 1075 that I should have used? I'm thinking about putting the 1075 kit on my new bike and want to do it right the first time. (Imagine that) APE has a different part # for a 1075 head gasket set than a stock size. I assume it has a bigger opening. Last year when I started the motor with the 1075 kit and the stock head gaskets, I heard a couple of loud snaps. I'm guessing the valves hit the edge of the gasket. I'll probably get into the old motor this weekend and have a look. I also need to find some rings for the 1075 kit. Maybe if it rains I'll put the kit on the new bike before my trip to Canada to see Sandy. I'll need a little something extra to keep up with him. :laugh:

It shouldn't have been valves hitting the gasket. If a stock head wouldn't have its valves strike a stock gasket, then bore size shouldn't matter. I dunno if there's enough gasket poking into the cylinder to break off and cause trouble. Other threads having shown differing opinions on this.

hope this helps...Sam

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.