electronic tach conversion

More
08 May 2008 20:19 #212180 by semper kz
electronic tach conversion was created by semper kz
so after unsuccesfully removing my tach housing i'm pretty sure that i'm looking to convert to an electronic tach. my housing is pretty much part of the head and there is no way of getting it out that i can see. I tried turning, pulling, prying, tapping from the inside. It's not coming out unless someone has something crazy i didn't think of. I wanted to remove it and replace the seals because it was leaking a little oil. But overall i think i'm ready to try and electronic tach. where can i get one? how much? and how to i fit it to my bike? where does it connect? anyone done one before. thanks

1978 KZ 650 SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2008 20:30 #212182 by Werewolfx
Replied by Werewolfx on topic electronic tach conversion
There are several people who have used electronic tachs on these bikes..an ordinary car tach from any auto parts store is fairly frequently used I think, Loudhvx had the info on how to set it up on a website, but its been awhile since I've been on this board so I don't know who's changed what.

Even though I have an electronic tach on my electrosport speedometer, I disconnected it and don't use a tach..There really isn't a need for one 95% of the time IMO.

Chris

More
08 May 2008 20:34 #212184 by semper kz
Replied by semper kz on topic electronic tach conversion
i need one to pass inspection in PA. I'm moving down there this month and need to get this guy ready for inspection down there and last time i checked tachs were still required down there. Any auto tach you think? and as for wiring where do i connect it or wire it into?

1978 KZ 650 SR

More
08 May 2008 20:56 #212192 by Werewolfx
Replied by Werewolfx on topic electronic tach conversion
I would double check on that inspection requirement...I SERIOUSLY doubt any state would have ever REQUIRED a tach to pass inspection..Speedometer, MAYBE on a bike that was originally equipped with one, but not a tach..In MO, you don't need much of anything..headlight, tail light, brake light..good brakes, fork seals, etc..thats it..however, if you have turn signals or a horn button on the bike, they have to work..

Chris