Starter spins, engine doesn't turn over... hmmmm....

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Constructing Scat Rat out of a 78 650D SR
More
07 May 2008 13:55 #211851 by Scatdrat
OK, I had torn apart the entire engine, splitting the case to replace the crankshaft, bushings, rods, pistons, rings, primary chain, all the valve parts, except the valves (I lashed them), and a mess of other parts. I was extremely methodical in cleanliness and proper positioning when reassembling. I did notice some play (slide) in the starter sprocket on the secondary shaft and a little less on the idle gear. Now for some reason, there is too much play between the starter, idle gear and starter sprocket to engage the starter clutch properly. I would really like a shortcut to figure this out seeing as how I do not want to have to tear off the top end and oil pan again to fix it. Any ideas?
~Marty

Here you can see the secured idle gear...

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2008 14:14 #211861 by FastKaw1
Check the clutch adjustment in the side cover for the countershaft sprocket.
I have had the same trouble, that fix it.

XENU

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 May 2008 14:19 #211864 by Scatdrat
Now that you mention it, the engine turned over a few rotations before slipping out completely and I did notice the front sprocket turned even with the clutch pulled all the way in. OK, I'll adjust that clutch pushrod in some and see what I get. Thanks,

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
07 May 2008 14:42 #211867 by Kawickrice
If its not the clutch, check the rotor to make sure it is properly torqued. Mine got loose and starter spun without catching the gear. Good luck

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
07 May 2008 16:20 #211900 by PFC FNG
Would this also cause the starter to take turns slipping and catching?

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
08 May 2008 12:21 #212073 by Kawickrice
That is what mine did. Took a while to figure out what was going on. If that is the case make sure the rotor is not wallered out where it goes on the crank, I replaced mine, torqued to spec and made sure I used loctite.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 May 2008 14:57 #212396 by Scatdrat
OK, no go. I got a great clutch adjustment and still the starter just spins the idle gear. I did notice that the bearing cap under the starter was never seated fully, half the cap gasket is exposed. Apparently, the shaft and bearings are in too far (I say in, because it gets removed from the other side) and prevent the cap from seating. That is the same direction the starter sprocket is offset from the idle gear. I second guessed myself on whether I put the sprocket on backwards or not but after a look at the secondary shaft diagram, I know I followed it properly when reinstalling.
Right, so I tried tapping the shaft and bearing in further but made no progress. What can I do to adjust the shaft allowing the bearing cap to seal/seat and the starter sprocket to engage?

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 May 2008 20:12 #212461 by Scatdrat
Let me just emphasize my extreme need to solve this problem. I AM DESPERATE!!! Short of pulling the engine back off the frame, removing the heads, flip... removing the oil pan and dis/reassembling the secondary shaft, I have no idea how to get her running again.

Sincerely,
Sleepless in Susquehanna

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 May 2008 07:20 #212531 by Scatdrat
Well, I guess the engine comes back out today. I'm thinking I can just drain the oil, flip it with the heads on, pull the clutch and oil pan and be able to figure this deal out with the secondary shaft.

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR

More
16 May 2008 10:09 - 16 May 2008 10:10 #214025 by sagreen13
I think my KZ1100 is doing the same thing. When I hit the starter button the motor will turn over but then it sounds like the start stops engaging and does a little grinding. Any luck getting this fixed? If so, what finally worked?
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 May 2008 10:10 by sagreen13.

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2008 07:07 #214297 by Scatdrat
OK, the secondary shaft was almost a 1/4" off towards the main clutch and both bearings were about 1/8" out from flush with inside seats. A little tap, tap, tap after a pull, flip and oil pan removal and... TAH DAH! Put her all back together on the frame and she turns over well. Next problem, NEUTRAL light on, yet still in gear. Thats the next topic. I'll post later today.

BTW sagreen13, I kind of doubt that could have happened to a running bike, but it may be worth a check.

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR