how to pull out a engine

• FireFighterRon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 May 2008 17:58 #211648 by FireFighterRon
how to pull out a engine was created by FireFighterRon
i have a 1983 KZ1100 A3 as you can tell from the picture.. i am trying to take the engine out with out taking the engine apart is this possable ? i have everything off right now but something is still holding it ... 1 thing is the shaft how to i take it off ? anything else that might hold it up.... and is it also possable to soda blast the engine as a whole off the bike ?

Instructions for riding a KZ1100 1) sit on bike, 2) start bike and idle till warm, 3) pull in clutch, put in gear, 4) release clutch and rip on the throttle, 5)VERY IMPORTANT!!HOLD THE F*** ON!!!, 6) Enjoy!! Side effects may include whiplash, wrinkle free skin and an evil smile resembling the"Joker"
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2008 18:51 #211665 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic how to pull out a engine
Luckily, I have't had to do it myself, but, most guys here say that they disconnect all the wires and fuel lines and such from the engine. remove the coils,, remove the mounts from the right side then lay the bike down on a blanket or piece of cardboard, take the rest of the mounting bolts out and slide the frame off the engine. Let me know how it works for you if you do it.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
06 May 2008 19:33 #211679 by jordan
Replied by jordan on topic how to pull out a engine
the easiest knuckle-saving way is definately taking the frame off around the engine as said above. I laid down a piece of plywood and laid the bike down on itside with only one or two mounts still holding the motor in the frame. Remove those last few mounts and twist and wiggle the frame until the frame lifts off over the motor. This is also the easiest way to put the motor back in.

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

• FireFighterRon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 May 2008 05:29 #211731 by FireFighterRon
Replied by FireFighterRon on topic how to pull out a engine
the egine is still on the bike ... not all that light to wiggle around, with the wheels and stuff still on the bike

Instructions for riding a KZ1100 1) sit on bike, 2) start bike and idle till warm, 3) pull in clutch, put in gear, 4) release clutch and rip on the throttle, 5)VERY IMPORTANT!!HOLD THE F*** ON!!!, 6) Enjoy!! Side effects may include whiplash, wrinkle free skin and an evil smile resembling the"Joker"

More
07 May 2008 05:42 #211732 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic how to pull out a engine
The wheels come off pretty easy.
I usually have to do mine by myself, but it is a smaller 650.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
07 May 2008 07:19 #211752 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic how to pull out a engine
To disconnect the drive shaft, remove the rear wheel, then unbolt the rear drive gear assy. To slide the driveshaft back, you need to remove the clamp on the rubber cover where the driveshaft goes into the bevel gear and slide the cover back. It will be difficult because the rubber cover is not that flexable. Rotate the driveshaft until you see a small hole. This is the locking pin holding the driveshaft to the output spline. Push it in just enough to slide the driveshaft back. It is a royal bitch to re-install the driveshaft and line up the pin. I have been running a bike for 14 years without the pin with no ill effects. But, that is for you to decide when you put the bike back together. Re-installing the bevel gear assy is no treat either.....have fun. A manual will show you how to do all of this......chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
07 May 2008 08:10 #211759 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic how to pull out a engine
had a friend who pulled his off that way, he did pull the rear tire to remove the shaft, laid the bike down and then had a rachet hoist that had a eye bolt in the rafter, used a couple of nylon straps to the bike and lifted it right off,, was easy

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
07 May 2008 09:46 #211785 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic how to pull out a engine
pull those exhuast studs out of head;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 May 2008 11:11 #211804 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic how to pull out a engine
BSKZ650 wrote:

had a friend who pulled his off that way, he did pull the rear tire to remove the shaft, laid the bike down and then had a rachet hoist that had a eye bolt in the rafter, used a couple of nylon straps to the bike and lifted it right off,, was easy

This is exactly how I did it.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• FireFighterRon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 May 2008 12:15 #211836 by FireFighterRon
Replied by FireFighterRon on topic how to pull out a engine
thanks everyone ..i got the engine out this afternoon. talk about a pain in the ass getting the engine off the drive shaft but i am learning as i go ... never done anything with engines beofr...
now that i see my bike all in pices and the engine sitting in the driveway i say WHAT HAVE I DONE :woohoo: lol but that ok after takeing it off i see that the fram in the middle is rusted threw 2-3 good bumps and the fram would bend in 1/2 prob... got to fix that i guess..lol no duck tape their...lol.....
but my new question is where can i take it to get polished and look new or have it rebuild messed up some gaskets when taking it off the fram and i not looking to do any engine work my self