Lost my Mileage and major oil leak

More
04 May 2008 11:40 #211091 by Buachaillin
Lost my Mileage and major oil leak was created by Buachaillin
I recently got my KZ 750 out of storage for the winter. My dad replaced the starter and put some tubing on the bottom of the carberators to rerout the small gas leak that I had coming from the bowls.

Now I find that I am only able to get like 60 miles to a tank of gas. This is not right, before I only got like 100 miles to a tank and that sucked too, but now only 60. Whats wrong?

Also I have a major oil leak from my cam chain tensioner i believe. It also has a clunk at low rpm's so I'm guessing the cam chain is getting loose. I need a new gasket and since I would be down there changing it, i figured I might put on a mechanical ape tensioner. Has anyone used one of these or know anything about them? Thanks for the help, I need it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2008 12:13 #211094 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Lost my Mileage and major oil leak
Sounds like a carb float is stuck, or the neddle valve attached to the float is dirty or worn, so it leaks past the needle valve and out of the overflow and out the drain tubes. If you are handy it can be an easy fix; do you feel comfortable pulling carbs and cleaning them? You will need a manual or a good diagram of the carbs from buykawasaki.com, some carb cleaner and compressed air to blow out the passages.

Remove your oil fill cap and smell the oil, if it has a gas smell then some fuel has leaked into the cylinder and past the rings, contaminating the oil. If it smells then fix the carbs, and change the oil and filter.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
05 May 2008 05:30 #211263 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Lost my Mileage and major oil leak
if you are leaking gas from the overflow, that would be the first place to look at, sounds like the carbs need to be removed and cleaned, a full tune up should also be in line

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
05 May 2008 11:06 #211341 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Lost my Mileage and major oil leak
Carb re-builds. YAY !!

Try some fuel additive first. If you haven't won the lottery yet, you might just get lucky and have fuel cleaner fix your carb leak. "Sea-Foam" fuel additive did such wonders for me and my old dirty bike is all. It cleans some of the gunk out of fuel passages in the carbs when added to the fuel.

Worth a shot.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you