Low compression cont'd

More
13 May 2008 13:49 #213359 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Low compression cont'd
Bicycle Lee wrote:

another random question:
What is this bolt called? In the upper left corner of this picture. My brother was explaining how a torque wrench worked and he broke this damn thing off:laugh:

Was the wrench still calibrated after you got finished beating him over the head with it?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2008 14:18 #213364 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic Low compression cont'd
haha... yeah. I gave him 100 ft/lbs of whoop ass over the head.
I heard it snap and said "What was that?" and he replied "Something I have to buy you another of." haha
We looked through the manual but couldn't narrow it down. I guess I'll just have to head to the boneyard and see

1978 KZ1000 police

More
13 May 2008 15:24 #213375 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Low compression cont'd
Bicycle Lee wrote:

another random question:
What is this bolt called? In the upper left corner of this picture. My brother was explaining how a torque wrench worked and he broke this damn thing off:laugh:

Your brother was obviously using the time-honored redneck technique: Turn it until it strips, then back off 1/2 turn.

But actually, it's your fault for inexcuseably failing to have on hand an original genuine Black Forest brand torque wrench. These wrenches have no equal, and are scientifically calibrated to the precise German Virgin Standard, which in most applications specify the Guttentite setting.

Hope this helps. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 May 2008 15:43 #213378 by Bicycle Lee
haha... he didn't even have a chance to strip it cuz the thing snapped like a twig.
No matter what wrench it was, I still don't know what the hell this bolt did...

1978 KZ1000 police

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
13 May 2008 15:45 - 13 May 2008 15:46 #213379 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Low compression cont'd
bountyhunter wrote:

Could be, but you could be getting blow by the rings even if they are new. According to the references I read, most blow by does NOT occur at the ring-wall interface, it's in the grooves of the pistons. The pistons are aluminum and the ring gaps wear due to the motion of the rings as the pistons go up and down. As the space between the rings and piston increase, blow by increases. New rings in old pots is better than nothing, but may not seal really well.

Thank you for that information. When I get around to opening her up again, I'll take a look at the piston grooves and see if they are within spec.

West Linn, OR
Last edit: 13 May 2008 15:46 by Skyman.

More
13 May 2008 19:36 #213432 by bountyhunter
Skyman wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

Could be, but you could be getting blow by the rings even if they are new. According to the references I read, most blow by does NOT occur at the ring-wall interface, it's in the grooves of the pistons. The pistons are aluminum and the ring gaps wear due to the motion of the rings as the pistons go up and down. As the space between the rings and piston increase, blow by increases. New rings in old pots is better than nothing, but may not seal really well.

Thank you for that information. When I get around to opening her up again, I'll take a look at the piston grooves and see if they are within spec.

You won't believe the burned on crap you'll find in the grooves.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 May 2008 20:11 #213446 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Low compression cont'd
Bicycle Lee wrote:

haha... he didn't even have a chance to strip it cuz the thing snapped like a twig.

That part is the oil passage plug.

With engine OFF, the plug may be removed, and an oil pressure gauge screwed into the hole to show psi when the engine is running. Kawasaki had a special oil pressure gauge tool for this purpose. And aftermarket suppliers have long offered a small decorative chrome accessory oil pressure gauge to relace the plug, which gauge is intended to be left installed for those who like the looks of it or want the ability to readily check the oil pressure at any time. The decorative chrome aftermarket gauges remain available and frequently appear on eBay.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
13 May 2008 21:05 #213464 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Low compression cont'd
Patton wrote:

Bicycle Lee wrote:

That part is the oil passage plug.

With engine OFF, the plug may be removed, and an oil pressure gauge screwed into the hole to show psi when the engine is running. Kawasaki had a special oil pressure gauge tool for this purpose. And aftermarket suppliers have long offered a small decorative chrome accessory oil pressure gauge to relace the plug, which gauge is intended to be left installed for those who like the looks of it or want the ability to readily check the oil pressure at any time. The decorative chrome aftermarket gauges remain available and frequently appear on eBay.

Good Luck! :)

Is it possible to install an oil temp gauge in this plug? Do they make ones that will fit there?

West Linn, OR

More
19 May 2008 19:09 #214629 by Bicycle Lee
ok.... I just got my bore gauge in the mail (from ebay of course). But it didn't come with any instructions... I know I sound like an idiot, but how exactly do I use this thing? It's a Central Tools #6462

1978 KZ1000 police

More
20 May 2008 13:14 - 20 May 2008 13:21 #214777 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Low compression cont'd
well, did you get a setting fixture with it, it holds the gauge and allows you to " zero " the gauge in for what ever size bore you are using it for.

well just read the pdf instructions,, you use a outside mic to set it to the bore, you have to rock the gauge between the mic to set it correcty to zero , then slide it in the bore and rock it the same way to read the bore size.

I was used to the type that had a fixture to hold the bore gauge and set them,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob
Last edit: 20 May 2008 13:21 by BSKZ650.

More
02 Jun 2008 18:44 #217506 by Bicycle Lee
I measured the bore on all four cylinders and none were fouled or out of true whatsoever. So pulled all the pistons off to check the ring gap.... as I suspected the rings were worn. The best was #3 but it was still on the high side of specifications. 1 and 2 were the worst, fitting upwards of a .025mm feeler gauge...
Ordered new rings and I'm excited to give it a go...

1978 KZ1000 police

More
02 Jun 2008 22:09 #217542 by bountyhunter
Bicycle Lee wrote:

I measured the bore on all four cylinders and none were fouled or out of true whatsoever. So pulled all the pistons off to check the ring gap.... as I suspected the rings were worn. The best was #3 but it was still on the high side of specifications. 1 and 2 were the worst, fitting upwards of a .025mm feeler gauge...
Ordered new rings and I'm excited to give it a go...

Is the wear on the rings or in the piston grooves? That's a steel (rings) versus aluminum (pistons) contest so I would think the piston would lose....

1979 KZ-750 Twin