Running without Tach cable ok?

More
26 Apr 2008 11:18 #209251 by Link14
Running without Tach cable ok? was created by Link14
I've got my '82 KZ750 running great now, but I've got a whrring/rubbing sound that I think might be from the engine when I accelerate. Nothing at idle, and nothing when I let off the throttle.

Sounds like it's coming from the front of the bike. I've pretty much eliminated the front (rebuild forks, replaced front wheel bearings) The sound is the same frequency as the vibration in the tach cable so I thought I'd remove it to see if that's a possibility.

Any danger in running without it for a little bit? I figured that I'd get a little oil out of the engine and I'd better keep the rpm's down at a safe level.

Wanted to try this before I had to contemplate something inside the engine like a cam chain or primary chain.:unsure: Any thoughts on if those are possibilities?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
26 Apr 2008 11:24 #209253 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Running without Tach cable ok?
If you can find a cap nut with the same thread pitch to seal it up temporarilly, I don't see any probs with running it like that to chase down the noise you're hearing.

Have you checked your points/ignition and rotor to see if there's possibly something rubbing in those areas yet?

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.