Clutch Issue?

More
25 Apr 2008 06:03 #208938 by Scanlon21
Clutch Issue? was created by Scanlon21
Hi folks. I have a 1982 KZ750 (CSR 750) that would not start for about 4 months. When I took the generator (or dynamo) cover off, the starter clutch bolt was loose. So I tightened it up and it started. YAY. But now a new and peculiar problem has arisen. After a couple of minutes of running, the bike makes a loud clank (and it sounds like a clank) and cuts off completely. Is this a started clutch problem or a starter issue itself? Thanks in advance.
Kippyzep@yahoo.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2008 06:16 #208942 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Clutch Issue?
Is a CSR 750 a twin or four? Sounds like a loose bolt somewhere. If the bike starts, it probably isn't the bolt that holds the ignition plate under the right side cover. It could be a bolt in the clutch assembly... I would check this. I would then check under the stator cover and look at the generator to see if a bolt has come loose. I wouldn't try and run the bike till I found out what was clunking as it sounds like something has come loose.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
25 Apr 2008 07:09 #208956 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Clutch Issue?
I wonder if that stator has a woodruff key,and maybe it's been sheared off,and now you have a stator that is loose on the crank?(if it loosened the bolt):huh:

I can't see this killing the engine though,right away,like you describe.

This,"Clank"...did it happen only the one time,or every time?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
25 Apr 2008 07:13 #208958 by Scanlon21
Replied by Scanlon21 on topic Clutch Issue?
It's a CSR750 Twin. No woodruff key on the shaft that holds the starter clutch. When we opened the cover, we did find the starter clutch bolt loose, which was bizarre. I just wonder if the starter clutch is binding and seizing the engine. But it does start back up after it sits for a while. I did notice that the battery could have a charge of about 13V, and after the clunk, the voltage on the battery reads about 11.3V if that helps. The clunk happens and she cuts off everytime the bike warms up.

More
25 Apr 2008 07:48 #208966 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Clutch Issue?
Wish I could suggest more,Scanlon,but I don't know the 750's.

Starter clutch rollers and springs,maybe worn or corroded...pitted?

On the twins,can you get to the starter clutch assembly without having to split the cases?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
25 Apr 2008 15:32 #209080 by Scanlon21
Replied by Scanlon21 on topic Clutch Issue?
No, gotta take the cover off the generator side to get to the starter clutch.