Engine oil

More
26 Apr 2008 22:19 #209373 by jdburke
Replied by jdburke on topic Engine oil
Last oil change I switched my 78 KZ 1000A2 to Rotella 5w-40 synthetic. I don't know if it is the Rotella or just the fact that the old oil was pretty nasty, but, it made a big difference in the way the engine runs. Really smoothed it out a bunch.

John

1978 KZ 1000A2
N.E. Oklahoma

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2008 11:37 #209515 by davel
Replied by davel on topic Engine oil
I'm running 15W-40 RotellaT in my KZ1000 and GS1100E. Clutch and tranny seem to behave better in both bikes than with other oils I've tried.

More
28 Apr 2008 06:40 #209726 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Engine oil
The Kawi Synthetic I use:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
28 Apr 2008 08:43 #209764 by vach
Replied by vach on topic Engine oil
i asked the same question a bit ago and figured i'd switch to
mobile 1. i found this article on motorcycle vs automotive oil

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

More
01 May 2008 21:26 #210587 by Mcspeed.1
Replied by Mcspeed.1 on topic Engine oil
Guys, Everyone has there personal opinion on oil. However, how many of you guys really know what is the most important aspect of engine oils for motorcycles? Package, Base stock or the additives as these really are the only things in a bottle of oil. Is it a PCMO (passenger car motor oil) or a HDEO (heavy duty motor oil)because IT matters. If you said the additives you are a informed individual. There are more additives that are available for any aspect in motor oils than any other types and grades of oil. I blend oil additives for a living and can tell you the best and worst oils on the market for any particulur application-and I garauntee you will not geuss the good from the crap - SERIOUSLY! If Kawasaki has blended an oil for the engines they have made I can suspect they have their poop in a group with the additives and base stock for the price aspect of thier oil.I could blend an oil for the air cooled engines that would actually reduce friction to the point you COULD feel it rite after you put it in, BUT, you are going to need to use a lockup clutch to squeez the clutch together at mid to high RPMs. It would be easy!

More
02 May 2008 01:19 #210609 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Engine oil
Mcspeed.1 wrote:

Guys, Everyone has there personal opinion on oil. However, how many of you guys really know what is the most important aspect of engine oils for motorcycles? Package, Base stock or the additives as these really are the only things in a bottle of oil. Is it a PCMO (passenger car motor oil) or a HDEO (heavy duty motor oil)because IT matters. If you said the additives you are a informed individual. There are more additives that are available for any aspect in motor oils than any other types and grades of oil. I blend oil additives for a living and can tell you the best and worst oils on the market for any particulur application-and I garauntee you will not geuss the good from the crap - SERIOUSLY! If Kawasaki has blended an oil for the engines they have made I can suspect they have their poop in a group with the additives and base stock for the price aspect of thier oil.I could blend an oil for the air cooled engines that would actually reduce friction to the point you COULD feel it rite after you put it in, BUT, you are going to need to use a lockup clutch to squeez the clutch together at mid to high RPMs. It would be easy!

Hello Mcspeed.1:

I actually am curious about your opinion for a good motorcycle oil, you didn't specify even though you are in the industry.:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
02 May 2008 09:02 #210681 by Mcspeed.1
Replied by Mcspeed.1 on topic Engine oil
The Best oil I have found in all of my testing for a high output air cooled engine with a wet clutch I Chevrons RPM 15W-45 oil. This oil will out do any oil on the market that is used for motorcycles (air or liquid cooled), automotive (take your pick of engines), Aviation, Marine(four stroke-any configuration). It is officially listed as a HDEO and used (10 or so years) to be availble in many diferent grades. It however IS currently being discontinued in the good ol USA Due to the fact that the EPA mandated Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel (ULSD) and it carries a ratting that does not complie to the new CJ-4 rating for oils, it is a CI-4+ rated oil. What can it do for you? How about operating temps that are reduced by almost 20 degrees F, How about carrying a lubricity additive package that has to be rated in pressure tests in foot pounds rather than inch pound! Like I said IT IS THE BEST I HAVE EVER TESTED! If you can find it buy it all!