Looking for different type of exhuast gasket....

More
24 Apr 2008 17:16 #208825 by Sendhendrix
Hi there, I recently rebuilt the top end of my KZ400, and used a gasket set off Ebay that was made by Cometic...I don't know if they're still around. Anyway the exhuast gaskets that came in the set were not the usual copper crush gaskets, but a thick white paper-like material that was much easier to center and in my opinion provided a better seal with my aftermarket 2 into 1 exhaust, which doesn't really fit that well. I have to pull the exhuast off to change the oil filter, and I am wondering where to get another set of those gaskets...does anybody know what I'm talking about?

If not I'll just end up using some VW Bug intake manifold gaskets...they're MUCH cheaper than the Kawi dealer ones...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2008 17:51 #208836 by steell
Cometic is very much still in business, and located in Ohio, you might try searching on Google for contact info and see what they can do for you.

KD9JUR

More
25 Apr 2008 09:27 - 25 Apr 2008 09:28 #208992 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Looking for different type of exhuast gasket....
Sendhendrix wrote:

Hi there, I recently rebuilt the top end of my KZ400, and used a gasket set off Ebay that was made by Cometic...I don't know if they're still around. Anyway the exhuast gaskets that came in the set were not the usual copper crush gaskets, but a thick white paper-like material that was much easier to center and in my opinion provided a better seal with my aftermarket 2 into 1 exhaust, which doesn't really fit that well. I have to pull the exhuast off to change the oil filter, and I am wondering where to get another set of those gaskets...does anybody know what I'm talking about?

If not I'll just end up using some VW Bug intake manifold gaskets...they're MUCH cheaper than the Kawi dealer ones...

I thought Z1 sold the copper donut gaskets for maybe $3 each? You don't EVER want to buy parts from the dealer if there is any way to avoid it.

BTW, with aftermarket 2-1 pipes you may have to use 2 gaskets in the port if they leak. I have a MAC 2-1 and it will not seal the right pipe with only one gasket there.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Apr 2008 09:28 by bountyhunter.

More
26 Apr 2008 18:35 #209339 by Sendhendrix
Replied by Sendhendrix on topic Looking for different type of exhuast gasket....
Thanks for the replies...

Thanks also for the tip about using 2 gaskets, I was thinking of trying that. I am going to get a Mac set because the pipes I have on there now are a pain to deal with during oil changes and look kinda fuggly anyway. Good to know the Mac set still may not fit the best. As far as I can tell, they're the only source left for aftermarket exhaust for my KZ400. I wish they still made a black set, that's what I would have preferred. Less time polishing, more time not worrying about riding in the rain.

More
26 Apr 2008 19:08 #209345 by kawtoy
Here you go www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2749 . Only $1.13 each plus shipping. Go ahead and get 8 or so and keep them on hand for next time you have to take the exhaust off.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
26 Apr 2008 19:25 #209349 by davel
kawtoy wrote:

Here you go www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2749 . Only $1.13 each plus shipping. Go ahead and get 8 or so and keep them on hand for next time you have to take the exhaust off.

I purchased this type of gasket for my 79 KZ1000 and they worked great. Seem to fit and seal better than the copper type. They were recommended by Rob at Z1.

More
27 Apr 2008 04:19 #209405 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Looking for different type of exhuast gasket....
the fiber gaskets wrapped with metal work well in most applications - they don't tend to crush down as much as the hollow copper exhaust gaskets. I'm not a fan of MAC pipes and the way they fit - the combination of very thin lip on the header pipe, and their captive plate exhaust flanges seem to always fit exhaust sealing problems.

With some bikes like the KZ1000's, there are options to select different thickness exhaust gaskets to help, but on the 400/440 we can only find the one option.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
27 Apr 2008 12:09 #209530 by Sendhendrix
Replied by Sendhendrix on topic Looking for different type of exhuast gasket....
Those gaskets from Z1 look like just the ticket. I'm going to follow your advice and get about 10 of them. Thanks also for letting me know the MAC exhaust doesn't fit so well either. I guess I'll just see if I can get my current exhaust to seal before I cook a valve.

Thanks a bazillion folks!