Polishing Engine How's it Done!?

More
24 Apr 2008 12:29 #208760 by mtngoat
Polishing Engine How's it Done!? was created by mtngoat
Hi I've got a 92 KZP with dull cases, covers, etc. I see these awsome shiny new looking engines on bikes posted on here. I have tried engine degreasers, Aluminum polishes, wet sanding... and have not gotten my engine half as shiny as most of the kowis posted. Alright... who has the secret! Thanks for helping me out!!

P.S. You guys have helped me a few times with my Kowi. My bike is tired but has gotten alot better since i bought it. Thank you so much for all your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2008 13:59 #208785 by securitygeek
Replied by securitygeek on topic Polishing Engine How's it Done!?
It is easier than you think. This was done with the side cover removed during a frame-up cleaning and painting winter project. It actually was pretty fast and easy, using Mothers Aluminum polish and 000 steel wool.

Never mind the nice bluing on the exhaust, it doesn't come off when it'ss that bad. It's getting wrapped tonight.

More
24 Apr 2008 13:59 #208787 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Polishing Engine How's it Done!?
keep rubbing!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
24 Apr 2008 18:42 #208845 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Polishing Engine How's it Done!?
I prefer the following metal polishes. I use Nuvite, S100, or Xtreem on fins and cases - any of these work great on aluminum. Be very careful with chrome plating. I sparingly use Xtreem (it's a very fine cotton pad - much less abrasive than neverdull)on pipes as needed. These products are kind of pricey, but if you shop the internet you can find prices better than the manufacturers. Used carefully they last a LONG time. Ed

[img size=150][/img]

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
24 Apr 2008 19:48 #208867 by WharfRat
Replied by WharfRat on topic Polishing Engine How's it Done!?
:( Youse guys can polish all you want-and I'm a junkie when it comes to that. But you have to paint the black "low-lights"-for lack of a better term. Real easy to do-mask around-shoot the paint-and wait a day. Gently sand with 800 or so=bling. Sand dry. Makes all the tedious work so much better looking.

Kenosha,WI
1979 KZ 400B2
1980 KZ 750 E1
1979 KZ 650 B3

More
24 Apr 2008 22:20 #208897 by mtngoat
Replied by mtngoat on topic Polishing Engine How's it Done!?
Thanks alot for all your tips! I'm off to Napa Auto Parts!