crackling/popping noise...

More
23 Apr 2008 18:43 #208578 by Boll Weevil
crackling/popping noise... was created by Boll Weevil
I'm a little embarrassed to ask as this is probably something I should already know...

While riding, especially in the mid-gears there is quite a bit of loud popping/crackling coming from the exhaust when i let the throttle out to down-shift and slowdown. The noise ceases to occur when I pull the clutch in.

Does this have something to do with my use of economy fuel or is there a larger problem t hand?

Thanks!

1977 kz650c, pod filters, low bars, 130/90 tires, kerker 4-1 exhaust (stock!). Dyna ignition system forthcoming. Currently on the hunt for a cat sized sidecar system so the little beast can come along.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2008 21:09 #208623 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic crackling/popping noise...
I think that is a symptom of slightly rich carbs.
If its warm blooded at the starting, that would confirm it.

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
23 Apr 2008 22:06 #208637 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic crackling/popping noise...
Leaking exhaust gaskets can let oxygen into the exhaust system where it can cause popping on deceleration.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
24 Apr 2008 16:37 #208816 by Boll Weevil
Replied by Boll Weevil on topic crackling/popping noise...
I'm going to guess that it is indeed a over rich mixture in the carb region as the spark plugs were caron-fouled black when I went to switched back over to cold plugs for the warm weather. (although in NYC I'm still mostly going at low speeds having to constantly stop to avoid the cabbies who think of mirror usage as being optional when cutting four lanes for a fare, haha)

I'm moving out of town in less than a month to a place where the weather is warm all the time, people don;t have to work 60 hour weeks to make ends meet and I'll have some actual space to get into my bike and make all my needed adjustments...

thanks for the info.

1977 kz650c, pod filters, low bars, 130/90 tires, kerker 4-1 exhaust (stock!). Dyna ignition system forthcoming. Currently on the hunt for a cat sized sidecar system so the little beast can come along.

More
25 Apr 2008 06:09 - 25 Apr 2008 06:11 #208939 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic crackling/popping noise...
You have incomplete combustion; the carbon fouling is very likely not related to "over-rich". The carbon and popping likely means you have lack of valve clearance... or you have poor spark due to low coil voltages. You might put your bike year/model in your signature along with your location by editing your profile. Would make answers more meaningful and specific. Anyway, we have tech articles on the valve issue and low coil voltage issue on our website under wg's Tech Stuff Index... the website link is in my signature.

Oh yeah, the bike won't crackle and pop in a RICH air/fuel mixture environment, will do so in a LEAN environment, mainly caused by air leaks as has already been pointed out. These can be cracked hoses, vacuum caps, bad orings, poor seal in carb holders or even bad seal on the exhaust pipes (mainly through reuse of the crush washers). Rich won't cause popping.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Last edit: 25 Apr 2008 06:11 by wiredgeorge.

More
26 Apr 2008 16:36 #209316 by Boll Weevil
My valves have been a little "chatty" since I got the bike, I just don't have a thin enough gauge to test them myself at the moment for proper clearance. All the lines (gas and the like are fairly new and good looking, though the carb seal holders are a little iffy. Actually, now that I think of it, my pod filters have been a little filthy as of late and daily riding in the grime of Manhattan hasn't done much to alleviate the issue. Once I get some $$ together I suppose I'll start from there and work my way around.

As for the signature, I always seem to think I've got the damn thing in order only to be requested in my post responses to add one again. Hopefully this post will have one.

Thanks for the info.

More
26 Apr 2008 16:42 #209317 by Boll Weevil
Also, the previous owner of the bike was waaay up in the Catskill mountains and I've brought in down to the city. Quite a bit of altitude change. Does improper carb jetting have anything to do with my issue perhaps? In addition, I'm moving the bike from here in NYC down to New Orleans in about a month. I've been told that I definitely need to rejet after the move. Are there any other precautions/alterations I should take in moving the bike from NYC to the sawmpy sub-tropical climate of the Gulf Coast? Thanks a million Wired George. Especially considering this isn't the first issue of mine you've addressed.

-Ben