push starting problem

More
20 Apr 2008 11:23 #207835 by grl06
push starting problem was created by grl06
I have a 1981 kz1100 shaftie and I need to push start it to get it over to my mechanic. The only problem is I can't get it in a taller gear after neutral. I can get it in first, but it wont go in second or taller. Even while its being pushed it wont move into a taller gear. Would it make sense to try to push start it in first? I would expect that situation would end it disaster.

any ideas or comments welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
20 Apr 2008 11:40 #207837 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic push starting problem
it doesnt matter wich gear u push start in. it just makes it turn over more agresively in 1st. do u know what the issue is? most likely problem is bent shift fork.i beleave u can get at it from the bottom.u would have to remove the chain side covers as well to pull the fork shaft out.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
20 Apr 2008 11:47 #207839 by grl06
Replied by grl06 on topic push starting problem
My friend just told me his kawi zx12 did the same thing, it might just have a lock when its turned off and needs to be running to shift higher. but if I drop the clutch in first, something tells me im going to go flying.

More
20 Apr 2008 12:43 #207851 by steell
Replied by steell on topic push starting problem
Kawasaki's patented "Positive Neutral Finder", the output shaft of the transmission has to be spinning fast enough to throw the three little balls out of their holes to unblock second gear.

So you have to push faster :D

I've never tried bump starting in first gear with a four, with a Yamaha XV920RH v twin I had, it was second gear "and" drop my butt on the seat at the same time I released the clutch in, otherwise the rear tire would just slide.

I just asked GPzInfested about his Turbo (he had a battery go dead while riding), and he said the 750 Turbo can be bump started in first.

KD9JUR

More
20 Apr 2008 17:09 #207894 by grl06
hmmm, so if I drop the clutch in first im not going to go flying on my ass. To tell you the truth I am pretty scared at the outcome in my mind.

More
20 Apr 2008 18:29 #207908 by steell
Replied by steell on topic push starting problem
The worst that will happen is the rear tire will slide instead of turning, and in that case you just pull the clutch lever again, then try second.

I rode that Yamaha XV920RH every day, all summer, bump starting it, finally bought a new starter solenoid during the winter.

KD9JUR

More
21 Apr 2008 05:04 #207956 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic push starting problem
I had a battery go bad on the 1000,, it was no big deal to bump start it in first, the rear tire gave a little hop at first but she fired right up

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
21 Apr 2008 08:35 #207987 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic push starting problem
You shouldnt go flying in first if you dont pin the throttle back while trying to bump start it. Do like your starting normally, choked and NO GAS. Once you hear it catch just pull the clutch lever in. No wheelies..
As for second gear starting, STEELL is absolutely right, you have to push faster to get it into second. I usually have my nephews push me..:P

More
21 Apr 2008 21:19 #208119 by grl06
thanks guys, get her running and man.. it was easy I kinda feel stupid for posting.