Milky Oil - Again !

More
19 Apr 2008 04:48 - 19 Apr 2008 04:51 #207532 by dannyg40
Milky Oil - Again ! was created by dannyg40
Bought the bike last year and changed the oil. No problems. Over the winter I made the mistake of starting the bike once a week for about 5 minutes to warm it up. I know it wasnt getting hot enough. The Oil got milky so about 3 weeks ago I changed it. It warmnd up here so I took the bike out about 3 times so far for some 10 - 15 mile rides. I checked the oil a few days ago before going out and the Oil is milky again ! I just went yesterday and bought some $6 a quart Oil and I changed the filter and the Oil. Im affraid to run the bike now cause I dont want this Oil to turn Milky. I notice when I 1st start the bike it spits out a little water from one of the right side pipes for a few minutes. Its quite a bit of moisture for an air cooled bike. Im not sure whats going on or whats causing it but I never had this problem with any other bike. I was told its moisture from being in the garage on the concrete so I put down some plastic under the bike and put rugs on top of the plastic. I just find it strange because I made short trips in my Van and never get "moisture" in the Oil. My lawn mower, weed trimmer, and the KLR I sold last year never had any moisture problems. My old 750 I had for 2 years never did either. I was told by 2 people to not leave the bike sitting on concrete :unsure: The garage or outside are my only two choices. Its kinda frustrating me and Im not sure what i can do about it. I have had the bike out a few times to where it was really hot but when I shut it down and go to start it the next day or 2, I see the water (moisture) dripping from the right side pipe the next time I start it. So running it longer is not the solution.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2008 04:51 by dannyg40.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2008 05:41 #207536 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Milky Oil - Again !
Even though you've drained the oil, there could still be moisture in other parts of the engine. What it'll take is a good hard ride of maybe an hour or more at operating temperature to boil the vapor out. First the oil has to get warm enough to boil the water and then the engine has to run long enough so that the air is exchanged and drier air replaces the moist air.

My four-wheeler gets milky during the winter simply because it doesn't get warm enough even though it gets used quite a bit. When I use it hard the first warm day or two it clears up.

As far as storing it in your garage, the main thing is that condensation doesn't form in there during the winter. If it has plenty of ventilation and stays dry, things should be fine, otherwise it needs some method of ventilation. And I hate to say it, but running it for such a short time did compound the problem, in my opinion.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
19 Apr 2008 05:52 #207539 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Milky Oil - Again !
On bikes especially with upswept exhaust the stock exhausts used to have weep holes for moisture to drain from. Now milky oil is another thing all together. She needs a good run . But the moisture from the exhaust wouldn't worry me until the fire department want's you to help put out fires with it.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
19 Apr 2008 08:48 #207575 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Milky Oil - Again !
Generally you need to put about 30-40 miles on a bike to get it fully hot and all the condensation burned off from inside the engine and pipes. You would be better off not starting the bike during the winter - but rather winterizing it. Draining the fuel from the carbs, fogging the cylinders with oil, and then occasionally turning the engine over without starting it.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
19 Apr 2008 11:56 #207632 by dannyg40
Replied by dannyg40 on topic Milky Oil - Again !
Thanks everyone,
Its cold and raining today so riding is out. I will be taking it for a nice 40 or so mile ride as soon as the weather breaks. One thing for sure next fall I will just store it and pull the battery. I should have rolled it in my nice warm basement for the winter but I kept hoping we would get a few warm days during the winter and I would have been able to take it out a day or two..... Never again.