gpz 750 crankcase stud o-rings

More
17 Apr 2008 09:57 #207135 by murphus
gpz 750 crankcase stud o-rings was created by murphus
I'm getting ready to button up the engine on my 82 GPz 750. Looking at a schematic on bikebandit.com, there's reference (92055A) to two o-rings that appear to seal the fore and aft left side studs of cylinder #3. These are the studs just right of the opening for the cam chain. My question is, are the o-rings shown internal to the engine and installed before the studs, and if the studs haven't been removed, do the o-rings need to be changed?

Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2008 10:06 #207137 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic gpz 750 crankcase stud o-rings
Did you take the cylinder off? Those O rings are changed when the cylinder comes off. You install new ones before you put the cylinder back on.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
17 Apr 2008 11:01 #207155 by murphus
Replied by murphus on topic gpz 750 crankcase stud o-rings
Head and cylinder removed. I know about the two o-rings between the head and cylinder at the outside edge, and the two o-rings between the cylinder and case at the outside edge. These are apparently as described, on the cylinder studs. It's possible I didn't notice them when I removed the cylinder and took it to be cleaned and machined. I don't have any proof they were ever there, and that's part of the question. Are they supposed to be?

Richard

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
17 Apr 2008 13:24 - 17 Apr 2008 13:25 #207193 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic gpz 750 crankcase stud o-rings
murphus, good question. The Kawasaki microfiche does show o-rings there but they are not included in the standard Vesrah gasket kit. I'm assuming they don't normally get changed and that you no longer have them on your cylinders? If they are no longer there, just to play it safe, I'd call/email Jeff Saunders ( www.Z1Enterprises.com ) to see if they can be gotten through him...Kawasaki rarely installs parts that are superfluous:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 17 Apr 2008 13:25 by Mcdroid.

More
17 Apr 2008 13:52 #207198 by bountyhunter
murphus wrote:

Head and cylinder removed. I know about the two o-rings between the head and cylinder at the outside edge, and the two o-rings between the cylinder and case at the outside edge. These are apparently as described, on the cylinder studs. It's possible I didn't notice them when I removed the cylinder and took it to be cleaned and machined. I don't have any proof they were ever there, and that's part of the question. Are they supposed to be?

Richard

I remember on mine, there are two "oil flow paths" from the crankcase top edge to the bottom edge of the cylinder (one on each side) and those MUST have new O rings or you won't get any oil pressure to the top.

As for O rings around the studs? Mine didn't have any. I had a round steel "knock pin" on the front left and right stud, no oil rings.

I have no idea why seals would be needed around a stud because there is no pressure run inside it, and the base gasket is what seals that surface from inside-out leak path.

I did see them in the picture, they are puzzling.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
17 Apr 2008 14:03 #207202 by bountyhunter
murphus wrote:

Richard

Eyeball the area around the stud: if an O ring is supposed to be there, it requires a 'channel" be milled in for the ring to sit in and expand into. If there are two flat surfaces coming together, an O ring can't go there because the ring would be obliterated.

1979 KZ-750 Twin