help please

More
16 Apr 2008 17:08 #206988 by billkz750
help please was created by billkz750
Ok i posted a a quck pic of the cams a few days ago
i put a new base gasket and head gasket.And lost comp in the 2 and 3 cycl. it had a 2 part headgasket and i got a new 1 piece cometic gasket do i leave the O ring around the chain bucket?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2008 19:03 #207011 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic help please
run a bead of silicone around it;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
16 Apr 2008 19:34 #207020 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic help please
PLUMMEN wrote:

run a bead of silicone around it;)

Not around the o-ring,because if You're using a ONE-piece gasket,you do not want to use that o-ring.

What Plummers-crack meant,was to fill that galley with silicone,but...I did that a couple years ago,and pulled the head THIS year(still off) and guess what I found?...half of that silicone was GONE!(pulled the oil-pan and found it,go figure)
And I was careful,to clean that whole area before I applied the silicone.And I only filled it to level,in a couple applications.

I screwed up before and USED that o-ring WITH a one-piece head gasket,and within days,I was pulling the head off again.The o-ring was brand new when I installed it,and when I pulled the head,I found it in about 100 pieces,all mashed up!(found some of THOSE pieces in the pan when I just pulled it,lol)

What I'm going to do this time,is...I'm going to cut the one-piece head gasket into a two-piece gasket(very carefully) and I'm going to install that o-ring.
I'd like to know about applying something WITH that o-ring though.I was talking with a buddy of mine,and he suggested putting a coating of dielectric grease around the 0-ring???...what about some 3-bond??

Others have mentioned filling that galley with epoxy(without the o-ring),but I haven't tried it.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
16 Apr 2008 21:26 #207058 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic help please
let your silicone tack up first before dropping gasket and head on.just like installing an intake manifold on a chevy v8,ditch the rubber end pieces and use silicone instead;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
16 Apr 2008 21:33 #207060 by Sandy
FWIW(and I just remembered)...when I DID use silicone,it was the Permatex,"Copper" silicone,and NOT the Permatex "Ultra Black".

As far as I know,and from what I've heard,the Ultra Black is much better.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
16 Apr 2008 22:06 #207063 by billkz750
Replied by billkz750 on topic help please
so with that old O ring under that new 1 piese gasket
it would let the middle two cyc loose compression ?

More
16 Apr 2008 22:32 #207066 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic help please
Yes. Very likely. It would keep the gasket from sealing next to the o-ring. That o-ring is just a bit taller than the block, even when squished, so you need to get that out of there. The compression would force it's way out. It wouldn't take much fot all that pressure to find the easy way out.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
17 Apr 2008 08:14 #207099 by Sandy
When I first put the engine back together,and fired it up for a run...it ran great!
But,as soon as the engine warmed up(hot),it started crapping out,making me think it was my valves clearance out of whack.But I KNEW that I had them adjusted properly.
Tried again the next day...same thing.As soon as it got hot,it started hesitating,and had no power.So I did a compression check when the engine WAS warm,and I saw that 2 and 3 were near dead.Keep in mind too,that this was a fresh rebuild,with headwork done,new pistons and the 410 cams,so I had a lot running through my mind.
So I pulled the head(had to narrow it down) and THAT'S when I saw that o-ring completely mashed beyond recognition!:ohmy:

I couldn't believe what I was seeing,but after thinking about it,it all made sense.
Like Racer said...that 0-ring is a bit taller than the block...so adding the gasket to it,of course it's going to be too much.
Live and learn...die knowing.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
17 Apr 2008 09:29 #207123 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic help please
Sandy wrote:

FWIW(and I just remembered)...when I DID use silicone,it was the Permatex,"Copper" silicone,and NOT the Permatex "Ultra Black".

As far as I know,and from what I've heard,the Ultra Black is much better.B)

The permatex ultra hi-temp black is very good, but all the mechanics I talked to at the dealer swear by the 3-bond stuff (or it's twins sold under other names).

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
17 Apr 2008 09:32 #207124 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic help please
Sandy wrote:

When I first put the engine back together,and fired it up for a run...it ran great!
But,as soon as the engine warmed up(hot),it started crapping out,making me think it was my valves clearance out of whack.But I KNEW that I had them adjusted properly.
Tried again the next day...same thing.As soon as it got hot,it started hesitating,and had no power.So I did a compression check when the engine WAS warm,and I saw that 2 and 3 were near dead.

My 750 twin did that after the first rebuild and it turned out the cylinder base gasket had disintegrated and allowed the cylinder to shift slightly, enough to allow total compression loss in both cylinders. make sure your base gasket is OK, that gasket gets squeezed with the full torque force of the head and the gaskets in my set couldn't handle it. Yours may be OK.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
18 Apr 2008 07:29 #207354 by Sandy
bountyhunter wrote

The permatex ultra hi-temp black is very good, but all the mechanics I talked to at the dealer swear by the 3-bond stuff (or it's twins sold under other names).

You think that the 3-bond would hold up in there?
I just got a tube of it from Jeff,because I haven't been able to find any here in my area,and I'm quite impressed with it.I assumed it was just another silicone,but it's a lot different...and it's flamable! That tells me that it would bond better??(just a thought)

I WAS considering cutting my head gasket,but now I'm not so sure I'm going to go that route,but I really want to know more about filling that o-ring galley...with what though?

That galley has a few areas where the inside of the,"wall" has openings,and I think that might be a weak-point...

1977 KZ1000 A-1
Attachments: