Kick Start/ Electronic ignition problems????

More
15 Apr 2008 11:57 #206683 by jplata
I recently purchased a 1979 KZ750. I am having trouble getting the engine to start using the kick start. It takes many attempts to get it to turn over. Also the kick start has a lot of resistance and will occasionally kick back on me.

My second issue is that the electronic ignition does not work well. when i use it, it just seems to make a spinning noise. It does not seem to be catching anything. Is this the starter clutch? The only time it seems to work well is when the engine is warmed up.

Please help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2008 11:59 #206684 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Kick Start/ Electronic ignition problems????
i think you are refering to your electric start ,not ignition.when was the last time the bike was tuned up?;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
15 Apr 2008 12:01 #206685 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Kick Start/ Electronic ignition problems????
Is this a twin cylinder? They did not have the best starters.

I can't help you with the electronic ignition, it looks like your second paragraph is combined with the issue of the starter....

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
15 Apr 2008 12:08 #206688 by jplata
This is my first bike so forgive my ignorance in technical lingo. Yes i was referring to the electronic start. I am not sure when it was last tuned up. Is the resistance on the kick start just a charateristic of these older bikes?

Any thoughts on why the electronic start will not work. it just spins not catching anything. Stater clutch?

More
15 Apr 2008 12:33 - 15 Apr 2008 12:36 #206689 by steell
Normally it's the starter clutch that causes this, but I have also seen the rotor spinning on the crank cause the problem. Both are in the same place, and the starter clutch is bolted to the back of the rotor.

Unless it's been converted it has points ignition.

Get it tuned and it will start easily with the kickstart, two kicks cold, one kick hot.

It has two fairly large pistons that you have to get moving, so it's not the easiest thing in the world to start. Ease it past compression then kick it.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 15 Apr 2008 12:36 by steell.

More
15 Apr 2008 12:35 #206690 by jplata
Thanks i will get it tuned and see if that takes care of the problem.

More
15 Apr 2008 13:23 #206699 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Kick Start/ Electronic ignition problems????
Tune up/normal maintainance is really not that hard. Pick up a Factory Service Manual, Clymers or Haynes for your bike. Most of these twins have problems w/the electric starter's clutch. Like Steell said, give it a tune-up and forget the electric start, until you want to tackle it, she'll start on just a couple of kicks. I wouldn't worry about the occasional kickback, the tune-up should help that, because it will start on a couple of kicks. Since, Steell says, you don't have the electronic ignition, a tune up would be: new air filter, points, condenser and plugs, set point gap and time. Tools required: phillips head and slot screwdriver, plug socket, ratchet wrench, feeler guages and timing light. You may want to get an impact tool, in case the screws to ignition cover are f'ed. You might, also, want to get new plug wires and run some "Sea Foam" through the carbs, by adding it to gas. Oil and filter change would be a good idea, also.
I'm sure if I forgot something, or misspoke, someone will chime in.
Hell, ya may be able to get her purring by just cleaning and resetting your plug and points gaps.
Good luck

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
15 Apr 2008 14:36 #206721 by jplata
cool, thanks for all the advice. I am going to get a serice manual and give her a tune up this weekend. Ill hopefully get it running smooth. Ill let you all know if i encounter any problems

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
16 Apr 2008 15:39 #206972 by Becker
I have a 78 model of your bike and it usually starts on the second or third kick but yes it is really stiff and hard to kick over. I would highly suggest getting an owners manual for it that you can keep in your shop for future reference but if you just want to replace the points and get all that figured out there is a manual for the 400 twin (basically the same engine only smaller displacement) kz400.com/WorkshopManFrameset-5.html here. Should get you started with the easy stuff. You have a good bike there the pull hard from the bottom and are fun to cruise around on. Good luck.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport