Valve timing KZ 750 Twin -83

• JanTaliban
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Z750 LTD Twin -83
More
14 Apr 2008 14:28 - 14 Apr 2008 14:29 #206461 by JanTaliban
Valve timing KZ 750 Twin -83 was created by JanTaliban
When I installed the camshafts I put the engine at TDC and installed the inletcam with the arrowmark flush to the head, pointing backwards. Then I counted 32 pins from the uppermost pin and installed the exhaustcam. This is how the manual describes it. The last time I checked the markings before this, the marking on the inletcam was a little bit above the head, at least as I remember. Is it possible that I have installed the cams one tooth wrong? Is there any way to measure it, exept using the marks? Thanks in advance.

Sincerley/Jan

KZ 750 Twin -83
Last edit: 14 Apr 2008 14:29 by JanTaliban.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2008 16:04 - 14 Apr 2008 16:09 #206487 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve timing KZ 750 Twin -83
JanTaliban wrote:

When I installed the camshafts I put the engine at TDC and installed the inletcam with the arrowmark flush to the head, pointing backwards. Then I counted 32 pins from the uppermost pin and installed the exhaustcam. This is how the manual describes it. The last time I checked the markings before this, the marking on the inletcam was a little bit above the head, at least as I remember. Is it possible that I have installed the cams one tooth wrong? Is there any way to measure it, exept using the marks? Thanks in advance.

Sincerley/Jan

Assuming stock cams and gears:

Make sure the tensioner is out of the way and you pull the chain tight when you align the intake cam. At TDC, the intake cam arrow should be paralell to the top of the head and pointing rear. Do the 32T count to the mark on the exhaust cam and it should be where the 32 mark is. If it is, the timing is correct. If not, it's off.

NOTE: on mine, with both cams installed and cam chain tension snugged up, when the crank is at TDC, the intake cam arrow is dead level to the head not above it.

BTW, you can then rotate the crankshaft to the next TDC and the arrows will be pointing inward at each other but are still correct. The cam turns one revo when the crankshaft turns twice. But the "32 teeth" thing must be correct.

It is possible to get the chain a tooth off if the chain has a kink going around the lower gear. As it turns it will change the timing. It's also possible for it to "jump" when torquing down the camshaft if you do it just wrong. Always relay on the arrows and chain count AFTER everything is installed and chain tension is taken up. It should be right then or it's off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 14 Apr 2008 16:09 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.