76 KZ900-A4 Oil Change

• Summerheat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Wanted at 17 Got it at 47 Worth The Wait!
More
14 Apr 2008 10:43 #206398 by Summerheat
76 KZ900-A4 Oil Change was created by Summerheat
Rookie question as I wait for a shop manual.

Do you replace or clean the oil filter. Just purchased a 76 KZ and want to drain and replace her life blood. But am un-clear regarding the filter.

Thanks and really look forward to learning and growing in this KZ community.

1976 KZ900-A4
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2008 11:21 - 14 Apr 2008 11:21 #206410 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 76 KZ900-A4 Oil Change
Summerheat wrote:

Rookie question as I wait for a shop manual.

Do you replace or clean the oil filter. Just purchased a 76 KZ and want to drain and replace her life blood. But am un-clear regarding the filter.

Thanks and really look forward to learning and growing in this KZ community.

Always replace.

Nice bike, sure looks clean for a '76.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 14 Apr 2008 11:21 by bountyhunter.

More
14 Apr 2008 11:29 #206415 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 76 KZ900-A4 Oil Change
To change the oil, you can drain the oil via the drain bolt but I would change the filter. With most exhausts, you don't need to remove the pipes. Unscrew the bolt that retains the plate with the oil filter above it, inside the engine. If memory serves, you will pull the filter off the bolt, then a washer and last a small spring. I buy my filters from www.z1entperises.com and don't use the Fram filters they sell at the Walmart. There are several decent brands of oil filter you can buy at your local auto parts store but I have had nothing but troubles with the Fram stuff. Wix filters work great and some of the filters from the auto parts places are made by Wix and rebranded. It is critical that you put the stuff on the oil filter bolt in the correct order. There is a big oring on the base of the plate that holds the filter in place. Make sure you oil the oring when reinstalling the plate.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!