problem starting

More
14 Apr 2008 10:10 #206383 by grl06
problem starting was created by grl06
I have a 1981 kz1100 shaft drive, and I have problems starting. When I turn the key to the on position, put her in neutral, and depress the start button, you hear the starter like normal but the engine wont turn over, or even try to. you just here NENENENENNENENENENEE(starter noise) and thats it.... Any suggestions ? Or need any more information?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2008 11:30 - 14 Apr 2008 11:31 #206416 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic problem starting
grl06 wrote:

I have a 1981 kz1100 shaft drive, and I have problems starting. When I turn the key to the on position, put her in neutral, and depress the start button, you hear the starter like normal but the engine wont turn over, or even try to. you just here NENENENENNENENENENEE(starter noise) and thats it.... Any suggestions ? Or need any more information?

If the starter is spinning but not engaging, it is probably the starter clutch assembly.

If the engine is turning over but not firing:

1) First check for spark

2) pull spark plugs and check for fuel (should be wet)

3) check compression

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 14 Apr 2008 11:31 by bountyhunter.

More
14 Apr 2008 11:38 #206421 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic problem starting
If the starter is turning but not the engine, the starter clutch is not engaged. There is a large round driving gear on the back of the generator that engages a small gear that engages the starter. You can remove the outer countershaft sprocket cover and see if these are engaging. If they appear to be but the starter doesn't spin the engine, I believe there are three shim sets; that is shims of three thicknesses that position the large gear behind the generator. It may be that you will have to use a different shim, perhaps a thicker one in order for good contact to be made. There is a picture of how to make the measurement between the engine cases and gear which is how you determine if the correct shim is installed. I think there will be three shim sets in the Kaw parts catalog. You probably could use a Factory Service Manual at this point.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Apr 2008 19:53 #206531 by grl06
Replied by grl06 on topic problem starting
I forgot one little part in the story which might have made it or brake it. I was low on gas the other day and it wouldn't start. So I put more gas in it and after a long time trying to start it it started, could that have been just the clutch grabbing just that once out of luck? Because what I thought the problem was that I was out of gas and filled it back up and had to crank it a lot to get the air out of the fuel lines.
any takers?