blown head gasket

• ran429
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
13 Apr 2008 09:15 - 13 Apr 2008 09:15 #206108 by ran429
blown head gasket was created by ran429
How long and how hard is it to replace a head gasket on a kz750E2?
The left side #1-#2 are leaking oil from the head, might be from the sitting so long, bad running and more sitting.

I just believe that the top end is in need of repair and I want to put all my time into the cop bike rebuild instead and just ride the 750 not work on it anymore.

It runs good at idle, but when i get on the throttle while riding it (under a load) boggs down and has no power. I just rejetted to 70 primary mains and 140 secondary mains, it ran great! now its sat again for a little less than a month (started a couple times here and there) but its back to no power again.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2008 09:15 by ran429.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2008 10:57 - 13 Apr 2008 10:58 #206121 by Beatpoet
Replied by Beatpoet on topic blown head gasket
Rebuild the top end.

This is fun! While you're at it you can think about oversized cams, high comp. pistons, head shaving, porting/polishing, oversized valves, performance valve springs, etc.

If there's oil coming out of the head (not the valve cover?) gasket,I'd just take it apart and rebuild it.

It doesn't take that long. If you haven't done it before, pair up with someone who has to give you tips along the way... Fun levels increase dramatically when working with someone more experienced B)
Last edit: 13 Apr 2008 10:58 by Beatpoet.

• ran429
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
13 Apr 2008 10:59 #206122 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic blown head gasket
so, after going out and starting it again today, i notice #4 isnt firing proper. I take out the plug and insert a new one and it fires now.
After starting the bike, I revved it up all the way and shut the key off W_O_T when i pulled the new plug out shortly after this a huge plume of smoke followed the plug and looked like a smoker being opened to turn the meat.

Cylinder was saturated with oil before i replaced bad plug with a good one.

• ran429
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
13 Apr 2008 11:01 #206123 by ran429
Beatpoet wrote:

Rebuild the top end.

This is fun! While you're at it you can think about oversized cams, high comp. pistons, head shaving, porting/polishing, oversized valves, performance valve springs, etc.

If there's oil coming out of the head (not the valve cover?) gasket,I'd just take it apart and rebuild it.

It doesn't take that long. If you haven't done it before, pair up with someone who has to give you tips along the way... Fun levels increase dramatically when working with someone more experienced B)

I really dont want to rebuild it quite yet, I want to repair the COP bike first so i atleast have two wheels to play on while the other one is down.

• ran429
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
13 Apr 2008 11:15 - 13 Apr 2008 11:16 #206125 by ran429
Now upon donning a helmet and goosing it down the street here, first gear nearly throws me off the back again, second nearly lifts the front wheel again.
All back to normal, I guess i need to stop idling it here and there and just RUN it WOT down the road a few times to warm it up and cycle the old fuel out of carbs.

The plugs are getting carbon fouled fast, faster now that i rejetted to 70/130 mains. 2 turns out on the adjusters.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2008 11:16 by ran429.

• ran429
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
13 Apr 2008 12:45 - 13 Apr 2008 12:46 #206143 by ran429
well. i took it out on a quick 30 minle ride. First hit the freeway to run it real good, its alot more torky with the different jets in it, used to take all it had to hit 80, today i did it without knowing it and really fast!

Doing 60, threw it down a couple gears to get way ahead of the cages and twisted the gas. looked down and the needle was pegged at 85. I quickly got off it as i was not in a good spot to be doing that.

However i slowed to 65 and then proceeded to take the next exit to another highway and went two more exits (5 miles) to Green Valley road.
Stopped at the meat store for a Coke and looked the bike over again, all seemed fine except all the goo seeping out my head gasket.
Wiped it off and headed home.
when i got home i snapped this photo with my phone of the head gasket area on #1.

Heres the bike all by its lonesome at the store. Yes, i set my hemet there it didnt fall off.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2008 12:46 by ran429.

More
13 Apr 2008 16:33 #206186 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic blown head gasket
With the history reported, I would also check for possibility of liquid black goo weeping past the exhaust gasket and blowing everywhere else from there. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• ran429
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
13 Apr 2008 20:17 #206261 by ran429
Patton wrote:

With the history reported, I would also check for possibility of liquid black goo weeping past the exhaust gasket and blowing everywhere else from there. :)

Holy crap i forgot!
I only have one compression sleeve on the #1!
That (i hope) is it.

Thanks for reminding me.

More
13 Apr 2008 22:26 #206282 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic blown head gasket
ran429 wrote:

so, after going out and starting it again today, i notice #4 isnt firing proper. I take out the plug and insert a new one and it fires now.
After starting the bike, I revved it up all the way and shut the key off W_O_T when i pulled the new plug out shortly after this a huge plume of smoke followed the plug and looked like a smoker being opened to turn the meat.

Cylinder was saturated with oil before i replaced bad plug with a good one.

I'll bet your valve seals are hosed.

It could also be blowing by the rings, but if the rings are bad you should see blue smoke when you accelerate hard.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Apr 2008 06:39 #206327 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic blown head gasket
If it's leaking under the head on the side of the jugs like your picture shows, it may not be the gasket, but the rubber o-rings in the oil galley between the head and the jugs.
My B1 sat for a long time and leaked a little from there, but stopped once I started riding it most of the time.

Just wipe it off and ride it like you stole it.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
14 Apr 2008 09:14 #206360 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic blown head gasket
Have you tried to retorque the head, maybe just a quicl sung up will stop the problem

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
14 Apr 2008 09:25 #206366 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic blown head gasket
As said above, I bet you need new valve stem seals. When is the last time they were replaced, if ever? I don't understand the point of running the engine wide open then shutting off the switch? All that does is suck gas into the cylinders and washes the oil off the cylinders so the rings make metal to metal contact.....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE