No movement

More
12 Apr 2008 12:30 #205941 by osirus_4
No movement was created by osirus_4
I have just spent a month getting a bike that I bought to start and idle properly. Now that I am at the stage where I am ready to ride I get on the bike, put it into gear, feel it engage and release the clutch and nothing happens. When I say nothing I mean nothing. It is as though I am still in neutral even though I distinctly felt and heard the gears shift. What kind of problem I am looking at here? The only thing that I did that may have anything to do with this is tightening the clutch cable but I don't know how that could cause this. Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
12 Apr 2008 12:55 #205943 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic No movement
It sounds to me like the clutch cably or the clutch relaese needs to be adjusted. If the cable is to tight then when you let the clutch out it won't actually engage the clutch. I'm not sure what bike you have (alot of members set what bike they have for their signature so that they don't have to write it in every post) but for my bike I start by loosening the clutch cable up by turning it all the way in at the middle of the cable by the left downtube. I then remove the two screws and the cover over the clutch release. After that I loosen the locknut and turn the relase in until it gets tight and then back it off half a turn and tighten the locknut. Then put the cover back on and adjust the cable at the down tube so that the lever has about 3mm of play in it before it starts pulling the cable. Tighten down all the locknuts and see if it worked. I know there are some different kinds of releases so that might be different for whatever bike you have but If you have a manual I'm sure the procedure is described in detail there. Good luck.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

More
12 Apr 2008 16:32 #205968 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic No movement
Without it running and dropping it into 1st can you roll it? If not and you pull in the clutch will it roll?

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
12 Apr 2008 19:12 #205982 by osirus_4
Replied by osirus_4 on topic No movement
Thanks for the help. I reset the clutch cable and on the third try I got it set to exactly where I want.