The rubber dampers on the cam chain roller shafts

More
10 Apr 2008 15:46 #205515 by roystaylor
I'm replacing the cam chain and worn sprokets on my KZ 1000. Is it necessary the replace those little rubber dampers? Mine are hardened, but they seem to be a bit pricey for what they are. The still look intact.
What do you folks think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2008 15:52 #205518 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic The rubber dampers on the cam chain roller shafts
For them to damp effectively, they need to be relatively soft. If yours have plasticized, then yes, replace them - it will keep the valve train a lot quieter.

Most used ones are so hard, you'd swear they weren't rubber...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
11 Apr 2008 05:45 #205662 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic The rubber dampers on the cam chain roller shafts
REPLACE EVERY repeat EVERY cam chain tensioning bit you can. Replace the rubber fingers (next step after hard is disintegration!!!) and the rubber bumper bit that screws onto the front of the block (it IS cracked and ready to fall apart)... Spend a couple hundred bucks on cam chain stuff and have a trouble free engine. Most all the bits are available.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
11 Apr 2008 05:51 #205665 by KingKustomz
Replied by KingKustomz on topic The rubber dampers on the cam chain roller shafts
I agree replace all of the small rubber grommets and look into a liska idler for the top and an aftermarket tensioner this will keep that motor humming

Just the basics. Whatever don\'t fit in your pockets make you stop fast or go fast does not go on the bike.

More
11 Apr 2008 07:20 #205682 by Sandy
Yes Roy,what others have said...replace them!
I'm in the process of doing some top-end work,and the rubber dampers were replaced only a couple of years back,BUT...for about $10,I ordered new ones from Z1 Enterprizes(peace of mind).

It would be like pulling the head to do valve-work,and not replacing the valve-guide seals.:ohmy:

(for under $15 :huh: )

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
11 Apr 2008 08:07 #205691 by RonKZ650
Not that I would recommend this, but I never replaced any of those rubber dampers or any part of the tensioner in over 160,000 miles. Did replace all 3 sprockets because the rubber centers fell apart and one cam chain. I saw those square rubber dampers and also the rubber dampers up on the center tensioner sprocket mounting were hard as a rock when the engine had 10,000 miles on it, and what came to my head was they will just be hard again in 8 months so why bother replacing.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
12 Apr 2008 02:54 #205854 by kxhonda
My 77 didn't even have any in there.

1977 Kz650B1 #576th made.

Warsaw, In