kerker vs. vance & hines

More
09 Apr 2008 13:34 #205243 by vach
kerker vs. vance & hines was created by vach
does anyone know why kerker is so much more expensive than vance & hines. $560.00 for the kerker and $259.00 for the v&h. is it a sound thing? i can't imagine the performance being an issue. i have a v&h on the bike but needs replacing. what are people using for exhaust and why?

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2008 13:42 #205244 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic kerker vs. vance & hines
ive had both.absolutely no comparison when it comes to fit and quality the kerker headers have always left vance and hines at the starting line,which really sucks since terry vance and byron hines did so much for the racing world in the past:(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
09 Apr 2008 14:51 - 09 Apr 2008 14:53 #205254 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic kerker vs. vance & hines
Scuttlebutt has it that V&H are now manufactured in China...stick with Kerker (although Kerker has also displayed some quality issues)...I have both and also have several MACs...I prefer Kerker, but would sell one of my children for an old Yoshimura and Bassani...I suggest you chat w/Jeff at Z1Enterprises as he has a better explanation that I.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 09 Apr 2008 14:53 by Mcdroid.

More
09 Apr 2008 17:11 #205284 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic kerker vs. vance & hines
I remember reading a few years ago that Vance and Hines was sold off. Terry remained as leader of the company but someone else actually owns it now. I believe the Harley part was kept but all the metric part of the company was sold off. I may be partly wrong, completely wrong or right on, but if it was sold off, that may be the problem...quality issues. Might be why Byron started his own company. I know they used to be one of, if not, the best out there in my opinion. If it's true they are now made in China, lately, that would explain a lot.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
09 Apr 2008 18:37 - 09 Apr 2008 18:45 #205303 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic kerker vs. vance & hines
V&H has been owned by MAG since 2002 - MAG is the Motorcycle Accessory Group - a venture capital / investment company. .

The same organization that owns Progressive Suspension, Kuryakyn, Performance Machine, Renthal, White Brothers (although that's being shut down) and more.

In the past few years MAG has been squeezing each of the companies to be more efficient - Progressive consolidated their manufacturing with Performance Machine. V&H recently took over White Brothers off-road exhausts while the rest of White Brothers is being dismantled.

I'm not sure the pipes are made in China - it is possible some of the components are, but I think the typical Chrome 4-1 is still made here in the USA.

Sadly both V&H and Kerker are phasing out pipes for our older bikes. Kerker recently dropped a number of their pipes including the chrome 4-1's for the KZ650.

Kerker is a better company from a customer service perspective. We had a problem with a Kerker pipe and 2 days later we received the replacement muffler. With V&H they take forever to resolve any issues. The pipes are still good valuve for money, but the company is one of the worst to deal with from a human perspective.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
Last edit: 09 Apr 2008 18:45 by Jeff.Saunders.

More
09 Apr 2008 18:50 #205307 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic kerker vs. vance & hines
Mcdroid wrote:

Scuttlebutt has it that V&H are now manufactured in China...stick with Kerker (although Kerker has also displayed some quality issues)...I have both and also have several MACs...I prefer Kerker, but would sell one of my children for an old Yoshimura and Bassani...I suggest you chat w/Jeff at Z1Enterprises as he has a better explanation that I.

see if you can find 2 of the old yosh pipes,ive got a daughter ill throw in!:woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.