Poor cold start after starter clutch change

More
08 Apr 2008 08:53 #205010 by PAULJAC47
After installing a new starter clutch in my 1978 z650 b1 i get a grating noise that seems to come from starter clutch area.Bike starts fine on kick and once started on electric straight away.Does nor seem to turn engine over when cold
is it something i have done wrong? i was very careful to follow manual to the letter,is there any thing that may be making bike hard to start from cold any advice here would be much appreciated,Thanks in anticipation Paul J..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2008 09:15 - 08 Apr 2008 09:32 #205016 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Poor cold start after starter clutch change
Welcome to KZR, Paul. These bikes always have been cold blooded things when starting first thing if the morning. Now being thirty years old it's a combination of the thick oil when cold, starters getting weak from age, wiring age and bushing wear is the biggest culprit there causing slow cranking, bushing wear is what causes the howling noise that we hear a lot of complaints about on here. Then of course there is the weak ignition which can be solved by upgrading to a dyna system and checking and clean all wire connections and the coil relay installation, a simple mod by WiredGeorge. I'll put the link up for you as an edit in abit. And of couse there it the gummed up carb problem if they aren't maintained well.
I usually just do the first start with the kicker,, only takes one kick usually.
Ride safe.
Oh, we like pics too.. :lol:

If you haven't already done so, check under the "KZ Information" tab at the top of the page for the Filbase and articles, and also check here for WG's info in his tech tips for the coil relay mod and other great information.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2008 09:32 by The Milkman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
08 Apr 2008 09:39 #205023 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Poor cold start after starter clutch change
PAULJAC47 wrote:

After installing a new starter clutch in my 1978 z650 b1 i get a grating noise that seems to come from starter clutch area...

Just to clarify... does the starter clutch spin freely on the crank when it does that noise? Or does it do it all the time? Not good either way...
:unsure:

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
08 Apr 2008 09:59 #205030 by vach
i would take the starter out and check it.run it out of the bike. sounds like something is messed up. btw i have a 79 650 b and my flywheel teeth are gone , so i get a grinding noise all the time when i engage the starter. hope that helps.

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

More
08 Apr 2008 10:43 #205037 by alltimeqb
Replied by alltimeqb on topic Poor cold start after starter clutch change
I've got an 85 ZN700 shaft and I'm thinking the starter clutch is my problem although I've read that the starter motor gear, in the engine, not on the starter, should role freely backward or right and not roll at all to the left. Mine works that way now but I still can't start the dang bike...