Oil cooler. To cover or not to cover...that is the question!

• davenkids2001
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Apr 2008 08:34 #205006 by davenkids2001
OK, here's another innane question:
When I bought my bike 3 years ago it was 99% stock except for a luggage rack and an oil cooler. The oil cooler looks like the standard Lockhart type fin and tube, mounted on frame. Unbeknownst to me at the time, the bike also came with a cover that fit over the oil cooler. It looks either like a original cover or was a very well crafted, home-made assessory.
Does anyone here ever cover their oil cooler in cooler weather? Is it ever necessary to cover an oil cooler at all? Since I bought this bike I usually ride with the oil cooler uncovered, but on certain times, like short runs or during weather under 50*F (10*C) I will cover the cooler. Is this necessary?
I welcome all opinions...

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2008 08:46 #205009 by Locozuna
I wouldn't cover it unless it drops below freezing. At that point I ain't riding. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
08 Apr 2008 09:55 #205028 by RonKZ650
I wouldn't cover it either. I don't know about Lockhart on a KZ650 but had a Derale years ago and the way it worked one fitting had a restrictor on it basically building up a back pressure there and letting very little oil actually flow through the cooler. I assumed this was from the KZ650 having relatively high oil pressure, and maybe pumping oil through the cooler would rob the rest of the engine from getting oil. I saw this restrictor and thought "wow this cooler with oil flowing through that 1/16" hole in the fitting is going to *really cool the engine*". I never even bothered to install mine. What I'm saying is the cooler has very little benefit for the good or bad so I doubt covering would make 1 cent worth of difference. Of course I could very easily be wrong though.:)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
08 Apr 2008 16:41 #205083 by letthegoodtimesroll
Replied by letthegoodtimesroll on topic Oil cooler. To cover or not to cover...that is the question!
I wondered the same thing as engines are supposed to run at "operating temperature". Running it uncovered may not allow the engine to get to the right temp as it may keep the engine temp too low.

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

More
08 Apr 2008 16:55 - 08 Apr 2008 16:58 #205088 by bountyhunter
letthegoodtimesroll wrote:

I wondered the same thing as engines are supposed to run at "operating temperature". Running it uncovered may not allow the engine to get to the right temp as it may keep the engine temp too low.

I thought the good aftermarket coolers had thermostats that prevented oil from flowing in the outside loop until the engine got up to temp? The ones I saw did.

Lockhart Oil Cooler Thermostat
Instals between the oil cooler and the oil pump, this control valve accurately maintains the oil temperature. Benefits includes faster warm ups, improved gas mileage and longer engine life. Available in black or chrome

Lockhart Oil Cooler
The 600 series is the first true automatic thermostatic control oil cooler system for motorcycles. The thermostat or bypass valve is rigidly sealed inside the brazed housing, eliminating the use of separate units and mounting difficulties. The bypass will fully open at 180 deg preventing over cooling or oil pressure resistance in cooler weather.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 08 Apr 2008 16:58 by bountyhunter.

• davenkids2001
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Apr 2008 04:47 #205152 by davenkids2001
Actually I do not know who the manufacturer of my oil cooler was/is. It was on the bike when I bought it. It is a fin and tube style and looks similar to a lockhart. I DO know that there is NO thermostat on this cooler, either internally or at the cooler...hence the reason for the cover (I think). A thermostat actually would be a good idea and I may buy a thermostatic type cooler one day. But for now I have a perfectly functioning oil cooler with a cover.
I was just curious if anyone else has this set-up and what are the opinions of ever using a cover over it and under what conditions.
Thanks

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
09 Apr 2008 05:36 #205158 by Z1109R Fin
ELR´s came stock with a cooler and I´ve never seen recommendations to cover it when temps are low. What I poundered about was a thermostate to control the oil flow when I changed a bigger one. Never installed one though since didn´t consider it worth the time and money.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
09 Apr 2008 19:32 #205325 by Jeff.Saunders
The key with any bike is the engine (and engine oil) MUST come up to designed operating temperature otherwise 1) the tolerances in the engine will not be optimal (more wear, less performance), and 2) condensation inside the engine will not burn off potentially causing rust inside the engine..

I do know people who have to cover their oil coolers when the temperature drops significantly.

It probably will depend a lot on how far you ride abd what temperature ranges you ride in.

Even if your oil cooler has a thermostatic bypass, the oil will typically still run through 1 rail in the cooler - so you still get far more oil cooling than with just a conventional air cooled engine.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
12 Apr 2008 20:45 - 12 Apr 2008 20:50 #206000 by Murphyau
In cool ~ cold weather, say less that 50F, I'd cover it. As mentioned above, it is important to let the oil reach proper operating temperatures.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2008 20:50 by Murphyau.