81 KZ750 LTD Backfire?

More
07 Apr 2008 19:42 #204888 by AMERICUS
81 KZ750 LTD Backfire? was created by AMERICUS
I just bought the bike this last weekend and took it for it's first true drive today. The guy I bought it from said it was gone over and carbs cleaned, etc recently, but there was a little rust in the tank. So today when I was riding, the gas light came on and about 3 more miles, it ran out. So I stopped an switched it to my reserve tank. I get to the gas station and put a full tank of 93 in and head off. No more than a 1/4 mile down the road I get a loud backfire. Now when I rev to 3k and above, right about at 2k on the way down I get a pop or occasional backfire. There is also a blue flame that pops out of the right exhaust at the same time. It is ALWAYS the right exhaust. Any ideas what this is? Did the rust settle towards the reserve and just cause a few problems? Drain tank, clean and refill? Thanks in advance!

Chase

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
07 Apr 2008 20:53 - 07 Apr 2008 20:57 #204910 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic 81 KZ750 LTD Backfire?
Welcome to KZr Chase.

It looks like you're on the right track in draining and cleaning the tank and petcock thoroughly.
Pulling and re-cleaning the carbs is also a good idea.
Even though the PO stated the carbs were cleaned, doesn't mean they were done thoroughly/properly, if at all.

It might be that your ignition is firing intermittently on either the #3 or #4 cylinder - gas flows through into the exhaust without igniting in the cylinder, then when the ignition sends spark through it ignites the fuel in the exhaust = backfire with blue flame.

It could even be that one of your exhaust valves is partially stuck open, and when the fuel ignites in the cylinder it's going past that partially open valve and causing the unwanted 4th of July show from your right side muffler. :ohmy:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ
Last edit: 07 Apr 2008 20:57 by RetroRiceRocketRider.

More
08 Apr 2008 04:09 #204941 by AMERICUS
Replied by AMERICUS on topic 81 KZ750 LTD Backfire?
Where can I get the tank cleaning stuff? I have heard that phosphoric acid, I think it was that, works well, but where can I buy 2-3 gallons of something like that? Thanks.

More
08 Apr 2008 04:23 - 04 Dec 2008 05:58 #204944 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 05:58 by JMKZHI.

More
08 Apr 2008 18:44 #205111 by AMERICUS
I tried draining the tank today and put in some 87. The same thing ended up happening, the right exhaust kicks out a blue flame sporatically and I notice the "Puff" coming from both the right and left exhaust. The noise however only seems to come from the right exhaust. I did not notice any debris in the 93 I took out, but I think cleaning the tank is sitll something that needs to be done. Any opinions? Carbs seems to be ruled out because it is not consistent, but we are going to check plugs and see if anything is running rich/lean.

Sticky valve seems like it could be the issue, but what does everyone else feel?

More
08 Apr 2008 19:47 #205120 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 81 KZ750 LTD Backfire?
I would suggest that before you start pulling the head to grind in a new valve you should do like R4 says and check the ignition thoroughly - all the wires from the electronic ignition to the ignitor and from there to the coils and from there to the plugs. You might want put in new plugs while you are at it.
I had an intermittent spark once when the battery breather came off and battery acid had dripped down and corroded a critical connection in the ignition circuit.

If you dont have a manual look here

www.mbsween.com/kz750l3/index.html

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
08 Apr 2008 21:19 #205133 by AMERICUS
I will definitely do that. Now that you mention it, the guy did say the battery breather leaked on the exhaust causing a spot in the exhaust that doesn't have the same shine. Wonder if it touched a little more than he thought...

More
09 Apr 2008 04:45 #205151 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic 81 KZ750 LTD Backfire?
do you have a fuel filter on the bike, if you are seeing rust in there it has prob made its way to the carbs,, you may want to pull them and give them a good cleaning.
Also check the valves at this time to make sure everything is in spec.

This is in addition to 4Rs help

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
09 Apr 2008 09:32 #205204 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 81 KZ750 LTD Backfire?
Check the compression. make sure the valves are seating well.

Blue flame tells me that raw gas could getting into the exhaust and igniting? If the flame was from an ignition inside the cylinder, I can't understand how the flame could get all the way down the pipe and through the baffles and still be visible.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 Apr 2008 08:41 #205412 by MCH650SR
Replied by MCH650SR on topic 81 KZ750 LTD Backfire?
When I got my 650 I had erractic running at about 4500 RPM and above; also on deceleration. Put in new plugs and all was well.

1979 KZ650SR
modified with BS32 carbs
Yoshimura 4 in1
2006 Kawasaki Sherpa
1979 Honda CX500
BC Canada