General Exhaust Question

More
07 Apr 2008 17:18 #204855 by grl06
General Exhaust Question was created by grl06
Quick Question, any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have a completely stock rebuilt 81 kz1100 shaft drive and looking to get a 4 into 1 system. I found a guy on craigslist who will sell me his 4 into 1 headers and pipe (brand is unknown he said call him in the morning so he can double check). But he did tell me it was from a kz1000 and it is a drag pipe (no baffling). Would this effect every day street riding? I was told from a friend that drag pipes are used at high rpm's and just every day street riding will be rough and not enjoyable. But I always thought if the engine can breathe better it was a happier engine. and of course after installation I will have it tuned to the new pipe/headers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2008 17:38 #204859 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic General Exhaust Question
find a regular style 4n1,if thats a sidewinder hes got you will have lots of other issues with it;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Apr 2008 19:35 #204884 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic General Exhaust Question
Tick off neighbors, get cops attention and everyone else, can be fatiguing after a while. Plus or minus depends on your perspective. If its pure drag pipe it can be too low for street and can drag in cornering.

My $0.02 - Get a nice tuned exhaust for street. Or a loud one without being obnoxious. or don't.....B)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
08 Apr 2008 04:27 #204946 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic General Exhaust Question
I run a open kerker all the time. I live in the country and my neighbors are use to me making noise. It is not half as loud as Harley around here. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
08 Apr 2008 06:04 #204968 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic General Exhaust Question
the best pipes ive ever run other than the 1 yosh pipe i had on my gs1100 :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: (the yosh pipe not the suzuki !!!!!!!!!!!:laugh: )have always been the good ol kerker 4n1 with baffle out but i put the end cap back.its a little louder when you lay into it but its still quieter than open exhuast and it gives you a little more back pressure which helps the bottem endB)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Apr 2008 09:21 #205019 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic General Exhaust Question
grl06 wrote:

Quick Question, any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have a completely stock rebuilt 81 kz1100 shaft drive and looking to get a 4 into 1 system. I found a guy on craigslist who will sell me his 4 into 1 headers and pipe (brand is unknown he said call him in the morning so he can double check). But he did tell me it was from a kz1000 and it is a drag pipe (no baffling). Would this effect every day street riding?

You mean other than all the tickets you are going to get and the damage to your hearing?

grl06 wrote:

I always thought if the engine can breathe better it was a happier engine. and of course after installation I will have it tuned to the new pipe/headers.

It is not a done deal that a straight pipe can be dialed in across the full operating RPM range. Read a lot of unhappy reports about that. Maybe, but not always.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Apr 2008 10:06 #205032 by jrjstuff
Replied by jrjstuff on topic General Exhaust Question
As far as loud goes, a friend of mine once said " Loud pipes save lives when your on a bike" It makes sense to me!

Jeff
83 KZ750 ltd

More
08 Apr 2008 13:28 #205059 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic General Exhaust Question
Ever see the look on a Blue Hairs face when she hears a loud bike coming up on her? Them Blue Hairs are squirrely enough without bouncing the panic button on and off. Heard all the arguments for loud bikes and all they boil down to is I want mine loud. Maybe should all be painted day-glo and riders should wear hunter orange for the same safety reasoning. If you like to be seen or like to be the outlaw or just like loud then just say it, pay your ticket and take your chances. As for the outlaw thing most real bad asses try not to be seen and try to fly under the radar or they are now walking the yard during exercise period. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
09 Apr 2008 06:56 #205173 by grl06
Replied by grl06 on topic General Exhaust Question
awesome info. Does anyone know about this mod that can reduce the weird power bands. I have three sites all explaining the same thing but a little differently
www.hdtalking.com/harley_davidson_exhaus...drag_pipes_work.html
www.bobhenneman.info/dragpipe.htm
www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm