Help Stuck Barrels

More
06 Apr 2008 11:46 #204593 by stever
Help Stuck Barrels was created by stever
Got a 1075 wisco to fit. started stripping it down, I have got the head off but can not get the barrels off, have now broken a fin so am well pi##ed off.

Any suggestions gratefully received?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2008 12:33 #204606 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Help Stuck Barrels
should be a pry point olong base of cylinder,dont pry on fins:(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
06 Apr 2008 14:30 #204625 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Help Stuck Barrels
Stever, like PLUMMEN said, there is a pry point on both side of the barrels, along the base. Use a large screwdriver as a prybar, sometimes it takes a fair amount of leverage to get the barrels to move a bit as you or the PO might have used gasket sealer...the old gasket also tends to act as an adhesive.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
06 Apr 2008 15:45 #204642 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Help Stuck Barrels
put pressure on it and whack it with a rubber mallet

More
13 Apr 2008 22:54 #206285 by Kiwiz
Replied by Kiwiz on topic Help Stuck Barrels
Try diesel down the stud holes and apply some upward tension to the barrels. Wrap some rope or nylon strapping around the barrels & if engine is still in the frame, tie over frame spine (top) and leave the rope in tension, so its pulling the barrels firmly up, away from the cases

If the engines out of frame, rig it up so the engine weight is just supported by the barrels - similar arrangement as above to keep in tension

Then use a broad bladed screw driver in the pry slots

More
14 Apr 2008 09:18 #206361 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Help Stuck Barrels
Kiwiz wrote:

Try diesel down the stud holes and apply some upward tension to the barrels. Wrap some rope or nylon strapping around the barrels & if engine is still in the frame, tie over frame spine (top) and leave the rope in tension, so its pulling the barrels firmly up, away from the cases

If the engines out of frame, rig it up so the engine weight is just supported by the barrels - similar arrangement as above to keep in tension

Then use a broad bladed screw driver in the pry slots

I broike some very large (and expensive) screwdrivers trying to pry the cylinder up on my 750. Here is what worked:

I got an old small tire iron and machined the end to just fit into the pry gap on the sides. Eventually, I got it to move.

On mine, the cylinder base gasket was a thick rubber asphalt type material with glue on both side (from the factory). The glue was so strong the gasket stayed bonded to both surfaces. I had to tear the gasket apart to get it off. Worst part of the whole rebuild, thought I was never going to get it to move.

And I did chip a small piece out of the fins prying on it, that probably comes with the territory.

1979 KZ-750 Twin