Gasket Coatings?

More
04 Apr 2008 09:05 #204196 by DACarpy
Gasket Coatings? was created by DACarpy
Working on a 83 KZ750 Spectre, Replacing base gasket, head gasket, and cam cover gasket. Among other things...but for now...

What are your thoughts on aersol gasket coatings? The general consensus seems to be not to use them on these composite material type gaskets.

But I thought I'd check with you folks to get your take on what if anything you use.

Thanks!
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2008 09:51 - 04 Apr 2008 09:52 #204205 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Gasket Coatings?
DACarpy wrote:

Working on a 83 KZ750 Spectre, Replacing base gasket, head gasket, and cam cover gasket. Among other things...but for now...

What are your thoughts on aersol gasket coatings? The general consensus seems to be not to use them on these composite material type gaskets.

But I thought I'd check with you folks to get your take on what if anything you use.

Thanks!
Dan

cylinder base gasket: the one on my 750 came from the factory with a VERY strong adhesive (it was a bugger to get off). I used ultra hi-teml RTV to seal the new one on. May not be absolutely required.

head gasket: if both surfaces are polished dead smooth, you should not need sealer (if it's a good quality gasket). I did use a bit of the copper head gasket spray on mine last time because it tends to seep oil a bit at the front, most don't need it.

Cam cover: I use a little RTV across the tops of the rubber "half moon" plugs because they always like to leak there. I don't think fully sealing the whole cover is necessary, but it doesn't hurt anything.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 04 Apr 2008 09:52 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.