Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil leak all around the pan 28 Jan 2006 20:11 #20318

• ZN700LTD
  • ZN700LTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
THis is an 85 ZN700 Ltd that I picked up in mid December.

I finally got the engine clean enough to find out the oil leak is NOT at the bolt but ALL around the pan- If I lean the bike to the left and leave it overnight it will leak out that side- If I lean it to the right it will leak to the right.
If I put it on the centerstand it doesn't leak- but that doesn't seem like a long term solution :lol:. Besides I need help to get it onto the centerstand (I'm a 5'2 female).

Questions:
1. Can I somewhat safely assume that this is a failed gasket around the oil pan, or could this kind of leaking be caused by something more sinister? It leaks a lot. Should I do a compression test BEFORE trying to fix the leak? I just got it running today.

2. Do I HAVE TO take off the 4 into 1 pipes to get the pan off (that's how it looks) or should I be able to muscle it off?

Thanks for your help,:)
ZN700LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil leak all around the pan 28 Jan 2006 20:17 #20321

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
I'll bet that someone has had that pan off recently, sounds like someone fouled up the reassembly. I don't see what a compression test might have to do with the leak, unless you're trying to decide if the bike is worth working on.
Good Luck
KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Oil leak all around the pan 28 Jan 2006 21:52 #20332

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
A think KZCSI is on to something there.
If the pan gasket wasn't replaced with a new one, or was damaged during replacement, the leak could be originating form there.
Or if any of the 3 smaller o-rings (ref# 92055A) or the larger o-ring (ref# 671) in the pic below where either not replaced, or even left out, that obviously would also create an oil leak situation.

I'm not sure what brand of 4-into-1 exhaust system you have, or exactely how it's routed under the bike, but I do know that the stock system does have to be removed to drop the oil pan (I had to do it on my ZN already).

FWIW, the ZN700 uses the same oil pan gasket, o-rings and exhaust header gaskets as quite a few other Kawi models do, so obtaining them shouldn't be a problem if needed.
If you end up needing to purchase any/all of these items, I'd recommend getting them through Jeff Saunders at www.z1enterprises.com .
Jeff is a very upstanding member here at KZr, and I'm fairly certain his prices are better than what your local Kawi dealership will charge you for the same parts.
Jeff ships parts quickly and securely packaged, and I've as yet to hear of anyone having a complaint with his services, prices or products.
Not to mention, you won't have to deal with some pimple-faced kid at your local Kawi dealership who probably doesn't know what a KZ or ZN is, and also probably wasn't even born yet when the very last one rolled off of the assembly line back in the mid-1980's. :pinch:
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ
Attachments:

Oil leak all around the pan 29 Jan 2006 09:46 #20392

• ZN700LTD
  • User
Thanks for the replies. I was concerned that there could be head gasket problems causing pressure buildup in the oil wells that could have caused the oil leaking around around the pan- it's my own Rube Goldberg theory of engine problems :laugh:

RetroRiceRocketRider, I have Bassani pipes, one of them actually crosses under and sits against the front right corner of the pan as it goes under.

BTW, R4 (if I may call you that), you gave me good advice before on the "new member" forum- I couldn't find the prior post to thank you. And the fact that there's at least ONE person out there who's restored one of these ZN "impossible to get info on:pinch:" (that's what Ltd stands for) bikes gave me hope.

You guys are great!
ZN700LTD

Oil leak all around the pan 29 Jan 2006 10:02 #20398

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
Yes, R4 is totally acceptable.
I get hand cramps typing the entire thing every time I log in here. :laugh:

Ahhh, a Bassani! Nice throaty sounding pipe. B)
Hm, that would fit right nice on my '78 KZ650. :whistle:

With the exception of the exact cylinder bore specs, most mechanical info pertaining to the ZN700 will be similar, if not identical, to a good portion of the KZ650's and KZ750's from the early 80's.
In fact, most of the inline-4 KZ models are very similar mechanically.

BTW, keep your eyes peeled on the picture gallery forum. I will be posting a few pics sometime this coming week of where the (almost complete) resto of my ZN stands.
Basically it's street-worthy, but there is some engine/exhaust polishing still needed, and I also have saddlebag brackets and driver backrest mods I need to complete.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

Oil leak all around the pan 29 Jan 2006 19:48 #20451

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
If nobodys been a no-good mechanic and messed up the gasket, there's a good possibility of bad rubber orings. Yes the 700 uses the same idea as a KZ650 with 2 or 3 rubber orings between the cases and pan. Probably not too many go bad except on high mileage engines that have seen a lot of heat. Mine were bad back in about 1985. A long time and a lot of miles on that bike then, a lot more now.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Oil leak all around the pan 30 Jan 2006 07:04 #20505

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Assumptions regarding the location of oil leaks will generally have you fixing things that don't need fixed. I suggest you wipe the area where the leak is occuring with a rag and then spray it with some carb cleaner or other solvent to remove any oil and set the bike on its centerstand while doing this. Then, get some powder type deodorant and spray the area where the leak could be occuring. Remember that oil will find the lowest place on the bike to drip off of so spray the areas UNDER the stator cover, clutch cover and points cover as well as the oil pan gasket line. Then set your bike on its side stand and wait for the powder to be corrupted by the oil. This will let you know for sure where the oil is leaking and it may not be be the pan gasket at all... Last time I thought I had a pan gasket leak, it was the countershaft sprocket oil seal... it would drip from the seal, works its way down to the pan and drip off the edge of the pan when the bike is on centerstand and ONLY DO IT while the bike was parked on centerstand do to the oil level. That spray powder deodorant is good for something bwhahaha
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Oil leak all around the pan 30 Jan 2006 13:59 #20580

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
ZN, have you thought about the rear wheel lifts that modern crotch rockets have to use? Latest ads show a 12yr old girl lifting bike.

Oil leak all around the pan 30 Jan 2006 14:25 #20582

• hwms
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Check pan bolts. If loose tighten to specs. This may solve problem.

Oil leak all around the pan 10 Feb 2006 16:32 #23011

• MDawnz1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
It sounds like someone has had the pan off.
The question is why?
And as far as I know "ALL" bassani pipes have to come off to get to the pan to remove it.
1974 Z1a, still 903

Oil leak all around the pan 19 Feb 2006 13:11 #24920

• ZN700LTD
  • User
Re: The question is why? :pinch:

As far as I can tell someone tried putting this bike back together without paying a lot of attention to (or knowing) what they were doing. It's got Z1000 sidecovers and tank, and most of the fuel line vacumn tubes were off. On the other hand it's got a brand new air filter.

It's definitely leaking around the pan and there also seems to be a leak higher up around the top, that's spayed some oil over the middle of the engine but I can't see where that is.
:dry:

I think I'm going to fix the pan leak and then try running it for awhile and see what else happens.
:unsure:

Oil leak all around the pan 19 Feb 2006 13:19 #24926

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
ZN700LTD wrote:

It's definitely leaking around the pan and there also seems to be a leak higher up around the top, that's spayed some oil over the middle of the engine but I can't see where that is.

If it's also leaking from around the top, middle of the engine, then it's more than likely from the crankcase vent. This vent is located on the engine directly beneath the air filter box, and is a round cover held in place by a single bolt in the middle of it.
You should have a hose running from a fitting next to the vent cover mounting bolt, which in turn goes to a corresponding fitting on the underside of the airbox to vent crankcase vapors back through the intake system to be re-burned.
If the mounting bolt is loose, or if the hose is missing or disconnected, it WILL leak.
If the engine is overfilled with oil, it can flood the air filter and box with oil and leak from there as well.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/02/19 16:21
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

• Page: