85 900 ninja crunch time

More
30 Mar 2008 07:58 #203062 by jaguar
85 900 ninja crunch time was created by jaguar
Hi fellow motorheads, Its been several months since being here and that means I have been enjoying the 82 750gpz. Thanks to all that helped on that project but its time for the new one. 85 900gpz that I got just looking for a different fairing for the 750 back last summer. 24k miles on it w/ 3rd gear tore up in the tranny. A bud here sent a link to ebay and was able to purchase both shafts (w/ all gears)and the clutch basket delivered to my door for $45! What a steal that was!!! Just purchased a H2O pump for it and now it time to put it all together. Pulled the #3 connecting rod end cap to check the bearing (I've been told its the weak link in the chain) and no copper showing but it did show some wear. A friend said he felt a ridge in the middle of the crank journal but I couldnt feel it with my fingernail. Lets say there is a slight one but again, I cant feel it. Question, since 3rd gear was chewed up (literally), would it be required to tear down the engine completely and have it vated to remove any metal fragments or can it be done using air pressure and cleaning fluid? I figured since it was tore down to this point, change the rod bearings and maybe even the mains. I was more concerned about trash that might be in a supply channel than the actual bearings as they looked pretty good. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
30 Mar 2008 08:16 #203066 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic 85 900 ninja crunch time
Hey, you've been here long enough to know the drill....where's the pics?!? :woohoo:

Compressed air and cleaning fluid may likely just move any remaining small particles around rather than remove them, or worse yet may lodge them in vital oil passages.:pinch:
So IMHO, you're better off tearing it all the way down and being thorough with it.
The additional work and time taken will be a good piece of mind, and pales in comparison to having your bike fail you and require you to tear it all down again. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
30 Mar 2008 14:15 #203118 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic 85 900 ninja crunch time
Are ya'll saying that you don't have to split the cases anyway to do the tranny in a 900 Ninja?

Thats it. I will have one. Easier valve adjustments AND tranny parts replacement? No question.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

More
31 Mar 2008 10:48 #203273 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic 85 900 ninja crunch time
you need to take everything apart. i lost second gear on my 12 and it completely torn down now. wash out everything really well with brake clean/ compressed air then oil it with motor oil till its ready to go back together. i was suprised at how much metal got through the motor. its a really good idea to replace the bearings

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH