Down shift problem

• Mark Whiddon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Mar 2008 18:23 #202173 by Mark Whiddon
Down shift problem was created by Mark Whiddon
I have a 1980 KZ 750H. I have been having difficulty in downshifting. Specifically it is slamming into 1st from neutral. It seems to be getting harder recently. It doesn't have a problem going into first, but when it does, there is a VERY noticable clunk with a forward lurch. Almost like if you reved a car up in neutral and then put it in drive. I have replaced the clutch, adjusted the clutch, and it has no effect. The original clutch was still in decent shape, but was replaced. I run castrol 10w-40. I have not really been too worried about it until recently because I only shift into 1st once while riding.What I mean by that is I only have to shift from an un-clutched neutral-to first one time. It is a bit harsher than I expected it to be while downshifting from other gears, but not so much I was concerned until recently. I have read about others having a spring issue on the shifter, but with a different bike. The parts diagram I found on the kawasaki site shows a different set of springs. Should I still be leaning toward replacing these springs,(behind the sprocket cover) or should I be looking elsewhere?
Thanks Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mark Whiddon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Mar 2008 18:32 #202383 by Mark Whiddon
Replied by Mark Whiddon on topic Down shift problem
Any body? Wired George? What I read in the archives was about a 900 I believe that you had commented on. Am I looking at the same problem? The springs in the manual and parts diagrams are not your typical coil springs like was commented on in the case of the 900, but more like the springs off a clothes pin.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
26 Mar 2008 20:01 #202395 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Down shift problem
Hi Mark,

What sort of clutch disks did you use when you replaced the original clutch? Years ago I put a new clutch into an H1 of mine and ended up with the same symptoms you're describing. Your post implies that you were experiencing this problem before you replaced the clutch. Is that the case?

Have you noticed any milkiness in the oil sight glass recently?

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
26 Mar 2008 22:25 #202419 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Down shift problem
Mark Whiddon wrote:

...difficulty in downshifting...slamming into 1st from neutral...doesn't have a problem going into first, but when it does, there is a VERY noticable clunk with a forward lurch...adjusted the clutch, and it has no effect....

Uncertain about meaning of "adjusted the clutch" as phrase is sometimes used with reference only to adjusting slack in the clutch cable as opposed to adjusting the clutch push-rod.

The clutch push-rod adjustment has no relation to amount of slack in the clutch cable between the hand lever and sprocket cover.

So if not already done, remedy here could be a simple clutch push-rod adjustment. Usually done though an access cap on the engine sprocket cover. This is a routine maintenance item. Check manual for details.

If clutch push-rod adjustment has already been done, would
do it again to be real sure about it before going back into the clutch itself.

The clunk and lurch when shifting into first often results from insufficient disengagement of the clutch plates. Usually due to excessive gap in the clutch rod adjustment, whereby too much of the cable action is consumed in closing the gap with not enough cable action remaining to finish pushing in the push-rod. And this applies regardless of perfect slack adjustment in the cable itself.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Mark Whiddon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Mar 2008 04:18 #202434 by Mark Whiddon
Replied by Mark Whiddon on topic Down shift problem
I do not remember what type of clutch. I believe (not 100% sure) that I bought the clutch through z1 enterprises. Yes I was having the trouble before I changed the clutch plates. Yes I adjusted the clutch push rod. I will try again. When pulling the clutch and looking down the oil fill hole it appears that there is enough slack, however the first two plates will not seperate by themselves. If you stick a screwdriver between them there is plenty of slack and they seperate easily. Almost like the oil is sticking them together. The oil change is brand new, no milkiness in the oil. I have also taken 1000 grit wet dry paper to the clutch basket to sand down any sharp areas that might be catching the plates. I appreciate your help.

More
27 Mar 2008 05:07 #202440 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Down shift problem
Not the first time hearing of such a problem with non-oem clutch-plates.

Possibly the best solution could be returning to oem plates.

Perhaps an experiment with synthetic oil? It's more slippery, but have heard it's sometimes too slippery for KZ purposes and more prone to leaking out through seals. Perhaps others have tried this and will offer their experience.

Sorry I don't have a better suggestion. :(

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD