Odd noise, clutch going out?

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
25 Mar 2008 12:42 - 25 Mar 2008 12:47 #202133 by Qdude
Odd noise, clutch going out? was created by Qdude
What are some of the hints that are commonly encountered when a clutch is going out, or getting tired?

Sometimes when I am really getting on the power from a stop by applying perhaps too much gas and engaging (lever released) the clutch, or if I get on the gas too hard shifting while exiting a corner (come on, none of the rest of ya'all have never tried getting that front wheel off of the ground?) I will get this sound that I can only describe as a rumbling gurgle with hints of belching and that sound that tells you that a bushing is worn (with a shaft no longer spinning in place within the bushing) that stops as soon as I am off of the gas. It has lasted about a half second before I react and get off of it. It has done this, or been possible to make it do it, ever since I got the bike a year ago and does not seem to be getting more prevalent at all.

The engine seems to stay on power, but loses power to the wheel. Over all I experience normal engine bog for load (I think) the 'sound' of something unhappy from the block, but a loss of power to the wheel.

Does anyone recognize what I am attempting to describe?

(if this is a normal reaction to a clutch that is being asked to work outside its tolerances, I may easily stop overloading the clutch.)

I am not afraid to pull a block apart, or to replace clutch parts. Should I even worry about it?

Cheers,:side:

Q

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you
Last edit: 25 Mar 2008 12:47 by Qdude.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2008 18:21 #202172 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Odd noise, clutch going out?
If not already done, remedy could be a simple clutch push-rod adjustment. Usually done though an access cap on the engine sprocket cover. This is a routine maintenance item. Check manual for details.

This adjustment has no relation to amount of slack in the clutch cable between the hand lever and sprocket cover.

NOTA BENE:
Pay no attention to any advice from RonKZ650 on this subject. :laugh:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Mar 2008 19:12 #202182 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Odd noise, clutch going out?
Dont fool with the adjustment I say :) Maybe you are talking of a grabby clutch? I don't know how to explain it, but the way some of my clutches work is they work nice and normal, until I take off with a little more throttle and using the clutch a little harder than normal. In this case once in a while the clutch will make a shreeking noise and suddenly partially lock up unexpectedly making for an amateur looking rider. Happens only once in a while. I call it normal.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
25 Mar 2008 22:07 #202196 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Odd noise, clutch going out?
Yes, both of you yes!!

I will now also refer to it as a grabby clutch. It is a type of shrieking noise and suddenly, partially lock up. AND YES making for the look of an amateur rider.

Patton, I will check the manual for the adjustment through the access panel. Ron, you say this is normal? I agree that it may be a simple case of over-working the clutch. But if there is an adjustment that can be done to remedy the situation then great. I will look into it.

Thanks guys!:woohoo:

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you