OK, now on looking at the cylinder head

More
23 Mar 2008 13:26 #201779 by gpzrox
My bike doesn't smoke or use excessive oil -- if I run it really hard, then it uses some, but I can live with that.

When I pull this head off, I would like too look at it visually, with my eyes, a square and maybe a caliper, and check everything real quick (like in an hour or two) and slap it back together.

Unfortunately my mechanic said he thought there might be a problem with one of my valves, I have lower compression on one cylinder, and he heard a hiss with compressed air to the cylinder, at least that is what I understood him to say.

Any tips that will go beyond the users manual, or tricks?

Thanks.

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OldSchoolHr
  • User
  • Kawasaki z900a4 1976 Croatia, Europe
More
23 Mar 2008 14:15 #201787 by OldSchoolHr
Replied by OldSchoolHr on topic OK, now on looking at the cylinder head
I have also remove head from my z900 just to replace leaking gasket and I found that my valves and valves sits are full of carbon. Valves wasnt sitting tight and compression was leaking through the valves. Now I am rebuilding a complet head.
When you remove head from your bike prepare to see just what i did. :(

s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg222/limit_...%20photos/?start=all

More
23 Mar 2008 14:20 #201789 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic OK, now on looking at the cylinder head
Yeah, I think I am gonna Seafoam the gas for an hour ride to hope to get some of it out -- or at least soften it up!

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

More
25 Mar 2008 18:15 #202171 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic OK, now on looking at the cylinder head
Fill it full of seafoam or similar stuff then take it out an ride it like ya stole it.ya gotta air it out once in a while or your gona have carbon problems.

More
26 Mar 2008 00:48 #202215 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic OK, now on looking at the cylinder head
OldSchool,

Wow, what a wonderful looking bike!!!

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
26 Mar 2008 05:13 #202224 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic OK, now on looking at the cylinder head
my self I would check the compression my self, then check the valves to make sure they are in spec, also a full tune up before riding season is a good idea

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
26 Mar 2008 09:38 - 26 Mar 2008 09:41 #202267 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic OK, now on looking at the cylinder head
gpzrox wrote:

My bike doesn't smoke or use excessive oil -- if I run it really hard, then it uses some, but I can live with that.

When I pull this head off, I would like too look at it visually, with my eyes, a square and maybe a caliper, and check everything real quick (like in an hour or two) and slap it back together.

Unfortunately my mechanic said he thought there might be a problem with one of my valves, I have lower compression on one cylinder, and he heard a hiss with compressed air to the cylinder, at least that is what I understood him to say.

Any tips that will go beyond the users manual, or tricks?

Thanks.

I think your mechanic is right. It sounds like he did a leakdown test. I don't klnow the mileage of your engine, but if it is 20k miles or more, I think you would be smart to do the valves and seals while it is off (just my opinion). Use new Viton valve seals, they last a lot longer than regular butyl rubber.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 26 Mar 2008 09:41 by bountyhunter.