What does this mean?

More
22 Mar 2008 19:20 #201635 by markc3wa
What does this mean? was created by markc3wa
I've been working on my KZ650 SR. Carbs, ignition. When I was finished for the day, I went to shut down the engine and I noticed the OIL light was lit up. Since I'd been working on electrical components, I thought maybe I'd grounded the sender or something. I took a look in the oil window just to assure myself that the bike has oil in it. The window shows oil up past the top, completely filling the window. I haven't added any oil lately and the last times I checked it, the level appeared normal. That makes me more nervous than the OIL light coming on. What might cause the all-filled-up oil window symptom? And could what causes that cause the oil light to come on?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2008 19:47 #201640 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic What does this mean?
is the light on when the engine is off? if so that be normal

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
22 Mar 2008 20:00 #201644 by markc3wa
Replied by markc3wa on topic What does this mean?
Good question kzwolfsr .. the light comes on when the ignition switch is in the on position. When cranking the engine, it glows steady, more or less. The neutral light and the oil light dim in tandem while the starter is drawing juice.

More
22 Mar 2008 20:06 - 22 Mar 2008 20:08 #201645 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What does this mean?
markc3wa wrote:

I've been working on my KZ650 SR. Carbs, ignition. When I was finished for the day, I went to shut down the engine and I noticed the OIL light was lit up. Since I'd been working on electrical components, I thought maybe I'd grounded the sender or something. I took a look in the oil window just to assure myself that the bike has oil in it. The window shows oil up past the top, completely filling the window. I haven't added any oil lately and the last times I checked it, the level appeared normal. That makes me more nervous than the OIL light coming on. What might cause the all-filled-up oil window symptom? And could what causes that cause the oil light to come on?

Thanks

Would sniff-test crankcase oil to detect any gasoline odor evidencing fuel intrusion into crankcase (a serious condition). Also physically examine the oil to see if it feels thin and diluted. If in doubt, should change oil and filter, and of course correct the problem. If this is the case, am thinking the carbs or at least one of them is going to need more work.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 22 Mar 2008 20:08 by Patton.

More
22 Mar 2008 20:21 #201647 by markc3wa
Thanks, Patton, I'll try that tomorrow. I did have a little trouble with the number one carb (float needle valve installed upside down ... d'oh!). That was such an obvious leak I was able to figure it out quickly. Maybe not quickly enough.

More
23 Mar 2008 04:30 - 23 Mar 2008 05:04 #201679 by Patton
While back inside the carbs, would also assure the overflow circuit is clear. (Holes in brass overflow tubes not obstructed). But even a clear overflow circuit can be overwhelmed by too much incoming fuel.

Here's what sometimes happens. Excessive fuel rises up inside carb and gets to carb throat and then flows both ways: (1) toward engine into combustion chamber then down around pistons into crankcase; (2) toward air filter where may collect at bottom of filter box and drain down through crankcase vent tube into crank case (but not with pods which just allow drainage straight to outside world).

The problem can occur whether or not the engine is running. So better practice is to turn off a manual petcock when the bike is parked. Vacuum style petcocks are of course supposed to turn off automatically when the engine stops running.

But regardless of petcock position, a properly sealing float needle/seat interface should regulate fuel level in carb floatbowl without allowing an overflow situation.

Smoothbore carb users are particularly sensitive to this problem because smoothbores don't have an overflow system. And when using an airbox, often disconnect the tube from bottom of airbox to crankcase vent and run a hose from the crankcase vent to underneath the bike.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Mar 2008 05:04 by Patton.

More
25 Mar 2008 17:04 #202166 by markc3wa
OK I think I dodged a bullet today. The oil light circuit did not appear to have a short in it. I did the sniff test and there must have been a quart of gasoline in the crankcase! That would explain the completely filled-in oil window. I drained the crankcase, replaced the filter and o-rings, refilled with fresh oil and crossed my fingers. I started the bike and the light went out, at least with cold oil in it. The task now is to figure out how the fuel got in there in the first place. I think it was mainly from forgetting to turn the petcock to ON from RES after my earlier tinkering. Maybe a float needle isn't seating completely.

Thanks for your help, I'm sure there will be more needed in days to come.

More
25 Mar 2008 17:05 #202167 by markc3wa
re: the petcock .. from PRI to ON, not RES to ON.

More
25 Mar 2008 18:46 - 12 Apr 2008 16:56 #202177 by Patton
As known, it's good practice to leave a manual petcock turned off while parked. And for a properly functioning vacuum petcock to be in run position while parked (as it is then supposedly off). But this doesn't cure the problem.

Please remember -- fuel intrusion into crankcase due to incomplete seal at float-needle/seat interface can occur whether or not the engine is running. And this condition may be worsened by a clogged float-bowl overflow.

So should indeed follow-up on attaining proper sealing between the float-needle and float-seat, and meanwhile keep a close eye on the crankcase oil situation.

Once upon a time, I was lucky enough to dodge that same bullet. :cheer:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Apr 2008 16:56 by Patton.

More
25 Mar 2008 19:05 #202180 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic What does this mean?
If you look at the carbs design and where the overflow drain is positioned relative to the intake throat into the cylinders it "appears impossible" for gas to ever get in the engine that way. Reason I say "appears" is that I call it impossible because gas has to rise 5-10mm higher than the drain and like a bathtub drain, the drain is just that, keeps level low enough to safely isolate the gas from possibly entering the engine. I could take all 4 floats completely out of any of my motorcycles, turn the gas on, watch 4 gallons of fuel flow all over the floor and zero into the engine. That being said gas has entered engines here on quite a few guys bikes, so my logic must have a flaw somewhere:P Be sure and also check out the vacuum petcock, as a leaky vacuum diaphram can also send gas straight down the vacuum line into the engine.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
25 Mar 2008 21:04 #202192 by Patton
RonKZ650 wrote:

If you look at the carbs design and where the overflow drain is positioned relative to the intake throat into the cylinders it "appears impossible" for gas to ever get in the engine that way. Reason I say "appears" is that I call it impossible because gas has to rise 5-10mm higher than the drain and like a bathtub drain, the drain is just that, keeps level low enough to safely isolate the gas from possibly entering the engine. I could take all 4 floats completely out of any of my motorcycles, turn the gas on, watch 4 gallons of fuel flow all over the floor and zero into the engine. That being said gas has entered engines here on quite a few guys bikes, so my logic must have a flaw somewhere:P Be sure and also check out the vacuum petcock, as a leaky vacuum diaphram can also send gas straight down the vacuum line into the engine.

Have also wondered about that apparent impossibility. But thinking perhaps some carbs have freer flowing overflows than others. Or maybe there's a clog or obstruction somewhere in an overflow passageway beginning with entrance hole at top of the overflow tube inside the floatbowl and ending at tip of drain hose before exiting to the garage floor (or maybe a kink in the drain hose). And it only takes one single carb with an overflow malfunction to cause the problem. As noted, the smoothbores are particularly succeptible because they don't have an overflow system.

And thanks for the excellent reminder about checking a vacuum petcock for possibility of a leaking vacuum diaphram whereby gas could be sent straight down the vacuum line into the engine. As known, this is a reason some prefer the manual style petcock (and remembering to turn it off when parked). Actually, I enjoy being able to turn the manual petcock off before arriving home, to minimize gas remaining inside the floatbowls while parked.

Now, about that clutch pushrod adjustment . . . :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD