Okay, now I've gone and done it--Got some GPZ cams. Now what?

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
20 Mar 2008 23:10 #201315 by Skyman
So I was snooping around on EBay this afternoon, and I happened to find an auction for a set of '84 GPZ 1100 cams that was just about to end, and the price was still low. I thought, hmmm, those would really go nice on my M2-1135. B)

So I sniped it, and picked them up for $41. So I've got those on their way to me now.

I know that this brings up at least one problem: the tach. My bike uses a mechanical tach, and these cams have no tach gear. So my options are to either do without a functional tach, or figure out a conversion to an electronic tach. Any suggestions?

Next question--and I know what you guys are going to say, but it's not the answer I want. :silly: Should I replace the valve springs too? Well, duh--I probably should. But would it be that big of a deal if I just kept my stock springs for a while?

Any other issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks, guys.

West Linn, OR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2008 23:36 #201316 by steell
KZ1000K (LTD) and KZ1000J both have an electronic tach, so the simple answer is to get a set of gauges off one of those.

If your stock valve springs are still within specs, then I don't see any reason to change them. The GPz1100 cams are not a great deal different than the stock cams, I think somewhere between .365 and .385 lift.

KD9JUR

More
21 Mar 2008 04:07 #201325 by FloridaBiker
The KZ1100 shaft also has an electronic tach.