Jardine 4 into 2 turnout exhaust mounting

More
19 Mar 2008 21:25 - 20 Mar 2008 05:13 #201112 by 76LTD
I have my '76 KZ900 engine all rebuilt and am mounting a Jardine 4 into 2, turnout exhaust. These are new out of an old Jardine box with news paper packing from March, 1978. In comparing the numbers on the Jardine instruction sheet, the down tubes seem to match the KZ900 numbers 5902-1 through 4. The mufflers have the numbers for the KZ1000, 5915. According to the instructions, those should fit a KZ1000. I think when I bought these last year, I figured I would have to make brackets to attach the mufflers. My question is, do the turn out mufflers tip up or down? I figured they would mount pointing straight out. If I mount them so they turn out and down a bit, they hit the frame and seem to stick out to the sides too much. If swap them side for side, they turn out but up a bit. In this position they do tuck in under the frame better and don't hit the frame. Anyone have the Jardine turnouts? Should the turnout part of the muffler tip up a bit?
Last edit: 20 Mar 2008 05:13 by 76LTD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2008 23:25 #201123 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Jardine 4 into 2 turnout exhaust mounting
Not much help probably, but the ones for the 650 tip down just a tad. And, on mine the stock brackets fit perfectly. There was enough room on mine that I could bend them up just a bit by adding a couple washers between the bracket and the muffler.
The only thing that I didn't like about them was the pipes blued quickly because they are only single wall pipes. Guys on here say that if you spray the inside of the pipe with a heavy coat of hi temp paint it will stop most of the bluing. The top curve of the pipe needs it the most. It would be easy enough to do, just spray a bunch of the paint down the pipe with the curved part down and then swirl the pipe around to coat the curve well then dump out the excess. Probably do it a couple times.
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.