More problems

More
18 Mar 2008 20:36 #200870 by kzwolfsr
More problems was created by kzwolfsr
I did the valve adjustments today on my SR650 and all the spacings were just right, now I think the timing may be off. It tried starting before i did the valve adjustments but the compression was way down especially when it warmed up so it would die. Did the adjustments today and tried starting it and nothing, even after all the kickstarts. I tried starter fluid and guess what happened........ the bloody thing somehow ignited in the air box and there was a nice fire burning in my airbox. I blew at it like that would work, then grabbed some carwash soap and put it out. So what would cause the started fluid to ignite in my airbox? Bad timing? could you be one tooth off and the bike still can turnover without hitting a piston?Plus could the gas be just really old and not ignite and why would the starter fluid not at least start the engine?. Did I mention that I did check for spark and its there, new coils too! O and my air filter survived the fire,not one char on it!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2008 21:25 #200887 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic More problems
One possibility might be a too tight intake valve not quite closing and allowing flame from combustion chamber to go back out through carb. :unsure:

Glad there was no personal injury or bike damage. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Mar 2008 21:31 #200890 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic More problems
2 questions ,
How long has it been sitting that you think it has "bad" gas in it ?

Did you wire the coils in right ?

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
19 Mar 2008 05:42 #200912 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic More problems
the only thing I can think of is valve too tight, you said they were good, cam timing off, intake valve not seated, or bent, timing WAY off, like the coils are wired backwards or miss wired to the engine.
You msy hsve to start over with the basics, and check everything to insure its right then try to start

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
19 Mar 2008 05:59 #200915 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic More problems
Well the gas has been in that tank for about 6 months or more. I will have to check those valves again, but I am sure that they all close seeing that I checked the spacing before I closed it up and I turned the engine over with a wrench to make sure the valves dont touch the pistons, but I think I will have to check my timing again.

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

More
19 Mar 2008 08:10 #200929 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic More problems
Why would the timing be off if you did not remove the cams. My bike when cold will sometimes pop back through the carbs.
Also did you check the valve clearances cold? You said you started the bike prior to checking clearances. That would warm up the engine and give you a false reading on the clearances. The valves must be checked when cold.
Did the bike run prior before storing it? If so then it probably is bad gas.

More
21 Mar 2008 05:58 #201334 by kzwolfsr
The bike is finally running. I will get down to the prob later. the bike ran fine before storing, but it never ran quite as good. Its top speed dropped from 90 to 70 gradually till it struggled going up a hill, so I parked it. Now I come back to it, its carbs have been off for about 45 or five months, as long as the bike has been parked so I can clean them so the carbs are clean and not gummed up. I put the carbs on and try to start it but it started and once it got warm it died and never started again. So I check valve clearances and have some pretty small spaces 032 etc. Redid the valve clearances, got compression of 125 cold, no oil in the cylinders to boost compression, so thats real good. I did remove the camshafts to redo valve clearances on a 650 and I was off one tooth when I did a turn over to check it and a valve met a piston. Its good to check first people! Fixed the timing and yesterday I tried to start it and nothing. So I decided to go on the stale gas theory, so I drained all the gas, put that in the jeep, and went and got me some fresh gas, put it in the tank, put the bike on prime and kicked 3 times and vrooooom. I couldn't have been happier unless my girlfriend had came back to surprise me from New York. I took it for a ride and found the tires to be under pressure....waaaaay under pressure. Stale gas who woulda thought!

More
21 Mar 2008 07:37 #201347 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic More problems
cool, gald it was a simple fix, check the air in them tires dude, if not you will not be a happy camper

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
21 Mar 2008 10:20 #201391 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic More problems
Not one char on the air filter, AND its now nice and clean !!!

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
21 Mar 2008 21:17 #201496 by kzwolfsr
The air filter might still be in one piece with not a sign of fire on it but I am now in the market for a new one. I can almost call the one I have a Phoenix Filter

More
22 Mar 2008 16:20 #201608 by kzwolfsr
Hey guys! New problem! How do I stop myself from starting the bike?

More
22 Mar 2008 19:05 #201634 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic More problems
The first step is admitting that you have a problem.:)

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950