Fresh Timing

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
16 Mar 2008 10:58 #200351 by Qdude
Fresh Timing was created by Qdude
I am installing the timing plate on a crash damaged ignition (no reference from before). Thusly, I got no friggin idea where the timing was set before.

There are instructions that came with the Dyna-S ignition for setting the timing so I will be fine.

I was told that you could get some extra power from the engine by advancing the timing a few degrees. If this were true, why would they not just advance it from the factory.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2008 15:17 #200421 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Fresh Timing
Advance the timing and you will more than likely have to use Premium gas, and I think Kawasaki probably wanted the KZ's to use Regular gas.

Premium was not available everywhere when the KZ's were sold, and probably still isn't.

Keep in mind that KZ's were sold worldwide, not just in the US and Canada.

KD9JUR

More
16 Mar 2008 16:21 #200444 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Fresh Timing
It's an old hotrodding trick. Yes, advancing the timing a few degrees will increase bottom end, run slightly cooler but as steell says you may have to run premium. You could lose some top end slightly with the advanced timing and possibly do some damage if your not careful! I had mine bumped a couple degrees awhile back but now run it at factory setting and it screams on regular.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
16 Mar 2008 17:23 #200463 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Fresh Timing
Bluemeanie wrote:

It's an old hotrodding trick. Yes, advancing the timing a few degrees will increase bottom end, run slightly cooler but as steell says you may have to run premium. You could lose some top end slightly with the advanced timing and possibly do some damage if your not careful! I had mine bumped a couple degrees awhile back but now run it at factor
y setting and it screams on regular.

Advancing the timing will take much top end away and add it all to the bottom. Thing is the motor will wrench off the line real strong, then start topping way to early, detonating and vibrating the handlebars. And it will run HOT. It will run hot also if the timing is lazy, (retarded). A bump of a couple deg. for in town driving where it doesnt see the higher rpm is fine but youll never have any luck on the highway or road racing with that set up unless it's a very short track with lots of corners. Some get up and go to work. I used to get up and go riding and changing timing all day long for 4yrs. I know how these things run and it's pumping loss at high rev's that you watch out for. Once the gas expansion is pushing down on rising piston u have to back off timing and once the gas is chasing the falling piston you have to bump up. There is truely a perfect timing. And how sweet that is. My bike reminds me of a gsxr when the powerband is right on. And folks I have never even ridden one. But why would I want to?