exhaust question

More
15 Mar 2008 17:08 #200204 by quader98
exhaust question was created by quader98
i was tooling on my bike and wanted to see what it sounded like without the baffle...sounded great.my question is can you run your bike without the baffle?will it cause damage to the valves or the engine?if i can't does anyone know how to modify this to make it louder,oh before i forget can anyone tell me what pipe i have from looking at the baffle

Ernie from central jersey
82 GPZ 750 R1
looking to part out my 81 KZ750E2
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2008 19:23 - 15 Mar 2008 19:24 #200225 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic exhaust question
I ran mine without the baffle once and it's god awful loud! I wouldn't even think about getting on the street like that. Only Hardleys can get away with that! My bike is loud enough to attract some attention from the local PD. But yes you can run it without a baffle, be prepared to possibly rejet. On your baffle, how about separating the two pieces and just running the rear one or maybe just the end cap? My Kerker runs the one below.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Mar 2008 19:24 by Bluemeanie.

More
15 Mar 2008 20:19 #200231 by steell
Replied by steell on topic exhaust question
When GPzInfested got his GPz750 powered KZ650SR running he rode it to his Dad's house, he had a Kerker on it with no baffle and a cop 1 mile away heard it and came to investigate. That cost him $135 :)

If you are going to run it without a baffle, be prepared to wear earplugs and a helmet, or lose your hearing.

GPzInfested put a baffle in the Kerker as soon as we hauled the bike back here.

Kids :D

KD9JUR

More
15 Mar 2008 21:53 #200247 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic exhaust question
I blew the baffle out of the muffler on my KZ750B twin. It was so loud I parked it.
Interestingly enough, I put it up for sale and the sound of the bike with no baffle was what made the sale.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
16 Mar 2008 09:31 #200334 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic exhaust question
IIRC, that looks like you've got a Mac exhaust system there.

That's the only brand that I'm aware of that has two baffles tack-welded together like that, as opposed to having just one baffle covered with fiberglass baffle wrap/packing to silence it some like other brands do.

Or maybe it's because it looks identical to the dual-baffle setup that I have on the Mac exhaust that's mounted to my KZ650. :laugh: ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
16 Mar 2008 09:45 #200340 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic exhaust question
I guess thats why there is so many kinds of music. What sounds great to some sounds like crap to others. But $130+ for a ticket will sure tell you the difference between sweet sound and obnoxious, and pretty quick too! :woohoo: There is talk around here about issuing cops decibel meters. And thats for bikes and cars.

One thing that puzzles me is those who want loud and do all the changes that has to be done. Carb tweeking and all then decide a few months down the road or after getting ticketed to change back and they moan and complain. Didn't you know what you were doing? Research? Same thing for pods. Puzzles me!:huh:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
16 Mar 2008 16:49 #200455 by quader98
Replied by quader98 on topic exhaust question
i took meanies suggestion and cut the piece off,sounds alright.im not too worried about getting a ticket for noise,my cousins are police officers and i dont get tickets for small offenses like that...thanks for the help

Ernie from central jersey
82 GPZ 750 R1
looking to part out my 81 KZ750E2