My engine smokes!?

More
12 Mar 2008 22:17 #199841 by mrbassdbd
My engine smokes!? was created by mrbassdbd
Ive got my KZ305 running. Its my first bike and it sat outside for a few years before I got it. After it runs for a few minutes the engine seems to put off smoke or steam. Is this serious? Could it just be leaves and dust in there somewhere heating up? What should I do? It seems to be coming from the fins on the engine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2008 00:03 #199843 by maddogKZ
Replied by maddogKZ on topic My engine smokes!?
its probably crud and debris or moisture evaporating off the fins when the engine approaches operating temp.

is it smoking out of the exhaust? i wouldnt be to concerned. give the bike a cleaning and see what she does, i know mine seems to "steam" from the cyl fins when its either wet or got alil something on there that decided to burn off.

More
13 Mar 2008 10:16 #199898 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic My engine smokes!?
are you sure its not running too hot?

I would give the engine a good cleaning then see if it still does the same thing

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
13 Mar 2008 12:52 #199920 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic My engine smokes!?
Most of the time, stinky oil smoke is caused by a leak that finds its way atop an exhaust pipe. If the smoke is coming out of the pipe itself, then it is possible that your air filter is really dirty causing a rich condition that leaves fuel unburned, the carburetors need adjustments... another possibility is that your piston rings are shot or the cylinder bore is ovalled.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!